OLTL-Tuesday, April 30th 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The years go by and I am still obsessing over TSJ. This is so nice.

Victor being killed was not this regime's story, I understand why they wanted to end this as soon as possible and save the drama for something else. Loved the hospital scenes and enjoying all the young characters. Victor & Jack - such a sweet sene smile.png

The David & Dorian scenes seem out of place right now. All the action is at the hospital and at the Shelter and I haven't even understood what this scandal story is. I don't really care though, I am always happy to watch Robin Strasser.

I don't think the PP shows are the best thing that have happened to soaps in decades. I am glad that they seem to respect their veterans and I still don't get why people get all excited when they hear a bad word from a soap character. Is this really so important to you? Same goes with people dreaming of watching an unknown actor's a5S for a nanosecond. Why is this so important to you? Do you really think that soaps become cool this way?

• Members

Ugh I couldn\t watch till late today because of being stuck at work--and now people are already about to move on to Wednesday's. LOL Sigh. So I'll just make a few points cuz nobody will read them and hopefully can finally write a better review tomorrow when I can watch it earlier.

Re the swearing. Some talked about them editing out Tea's f-bomb, but it makes sense to me. As has been mentioned, basic cable (channels like FX, AMC, etc) can say ass*hole, sh*t, but not f*ck (at least not usually--that's one of the top "most extreme" swear wrods along, I think with some slang like c*nt etc.) So this puts it on a basic cable level (which could also mean rear nudity, etc) which seems a good spot to "advance" soaps--and be able to sell them easier, and not totally scare away some of their existing fans with HBO level sex and swearing.

And the swearing doesn't bug me at all--I don't even really notice which maybe just says something about the people I hang around, but... I mean until Vicki starts calling people as*holes, I'm fine.

I actually loved how fast the Victor reveal was. In hindsight, reading all 14 pages of this thread, I agree we could have gotten a tiny bit more of a reaction from some characters--but they all thought Dani was about to die, etc, etc. It didn't bother me.

I like David toned down MUCH more. I sorta liked the contrast of their scenes and the Shelter stuff with the hospital drama.

I liked that Todd and Blair briefly mentioned some of the sorta humour of opening this big club in a relatively small city (and Blair's naivity that, since this isn't Miami, there would be drugs--having lived in some very small towns--drugs are everywhere in clubs everywhere, IMHO. Also liked Matt's reaction--about different kinds of highs, that he sorta accepted casual drug use, etc, that al seemed--for TV--really quite natural.

Destiny was... not awful. Not great. I'm gonna give her more time.

Victor's facial hair is hot.

I guess that's all :P

Oh! With both OLTL and AMC I've decided I find the shorter running time refreshing--something I didn't expect. My mind never wanders the way it does with soaps where there's so much padding with character recap. Of course all of this could change--at least a bit--when the shows settle down in a few weeks so I could be speaking too soon. But, and as others have mentioned, it's only really about 10-11 minutes shorter than the hour soaps--actual content wise, and I think the tighter focus of a shorter show works--it does kinda remind me of watching The City (in its better later months) or even some of the old 30 min shows--where the focus just seems tighter.

• Members

I liked the Blair and Todd comments but wasn't Capricorn a night club, too? Todd's acting like this is Blair's first rodeo in the seedy nightclub circuit. I also was confused about what drugs Matthew had taken, he mentioned being itchy or something and I think mentioned "better highs than pills." Like wtf, isn't oxy a pill? Sorry I'm super naive about drugs.

I agree, I lurve the shorter runtimes. I think there is much less exposition and pointless filler and it's refreshing. I hope it lasts.

• Members

Capricorn was more like an older people night club--though they started having performances there I know (for budget?) People mainly sat there, the music was quieter, lotsa sorta cabare tnad jazz performances,people would go to talk, etc. For me that's not really a club, I guess, but your mileage may vary.

On the other hand Ultraviolet was meant to bebasically a big city style night club, so who knows.

I think Matthew's itchy comment as about Oxy--I've never done it (it has no appeal to me, being an opiate and highly addictive) but I've hear some have that reaction--and I assumed he meant if he wanted to get high he liked other things (which I guess could mean coke--the main drug I still see in clubs--or e, or even pot though I usually hear people refer to being stoned not high on it.) I need to rewatch but I *thought* he said he tried Oxy and hated it and prefers better highs than pills--ie doesn't dig the Oxy.

As long as they maintain a few quiet moments--and maybe a few longer scenes when needed, I'm fine with the runtime--like you say. It's funny because I hate the quick back and forth of FV's GH and to an extent of his OLTL too, but maybe that's because it ran over a longer runtime, or wasn't handled as well.

• Members

That's true, it was more 'classy' so to speak. Did they ever depict it being open as late as Shelter is? And LOL, I forgot about Ultra Violet, I thought those were the same place. My bad. So Blair basically just joined in on the youth night club scene. I bet Ultra Violet is no longer with Rex out of town.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I think Matthew said "And there's better highs than pain pills," so I think you're right. I don't like the thought of Matthew taking drugs, sigh. :( Oh well, I'll get over it.

Yeah there were some longer and shorter scenes, I don't think it's going to have the frenetic pace of the cutting with FV and RC's shows.

• Members

Yeah ... A CIA employee gave Dorian the documents about these illegal sites around the world where the CIA has people kidnapped, taken to, and tortured without trial in the name of protecting the country from terrorism and other national security threats. Presumably this employee wanted the illegal sites shut down and wanted Congress to do its duty to make sure they were shut down.

Dorian gave those documents to the heads of her committee in the Senate, the Senate Intelligence Committee.

However, when nothing happened to shut the illegal sites down, the employee apparently leaked it to Jeffrey, and the Banner is saying Dorian was covering it up. Now it looks like the President and the other senators may let Dorian take the fall as well.

Also in reading this thread, particularly what Vee wrote, and looking at Wikipedia about Todd and Victor, I'm discovering this whole other angle where apparently the show could tie this in with Todd and Victor too. I guess due to CIA connection with their pasts like Irene brainwashing Victor to take over Todd's life? Is that what you meant, Vee? Help a new fan out. But I think it's a nice story even without that connection!

• Members

Todd was held and tortured for eight years in a secret facility run by Irene Manning's rogue covert agency, which was a renegade offshoot of her work for the CIA, doing criminal operations for her own ends. She also employed various CIA agents, including Tomas Delgado and Agent Baker. Victor was her son and her pet project - she used him to replace Todd in Llanview as "Todd Manning," and had him funneling Todd's fortune back to her and her organization.

When the show ended on ABC, Victor was discovered to be imprisoned much like Todd before him, only by Alison Perkins. The implication in the current storyline is that there is a connection between the two stories with Dorian and the "Todds" - Irene's agency and her secret installation were very much like a CIA "black op" project, complete with "black site," and we have seen that these men are still pursuing Victor. Victor is tattooed with the same symbol as the men, and Todd returned to town with a mystery note emblazoned with the same symbol. I have little doubt it is all connected as a larger umbrella.

Archived