When and Why Did Cartini Lose Favor on This Board?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Any scene that lasts more then 60 seconds before switching to the next scene will certainly be considered a long scene... at least nowadays LOL

Maybe these short scenes were done because the script writers are incapable of writing 2 + minute scenes? I certainly dont think the attention span for the under 25 crowd is that bad.

• Members

The basic idea is that viewers are dumb. This pervades "Cartini" shows. It's why belly flops like the rape joke from Bensonhurst and a hee hee ha ha blackout sex story about a rape victim are everywhere on GH. They are playing for the cheap seats.

• Members

Actually, both OLTL and AMC deserved to be saved over the one soap that ABC (inexplicably) chose to hold on to (in spite of it being worse than the other two could ever hope to be).

Then again, two years have passed, AMC/OLTL are primed to get a (hopefully, new and improved) second chance, while GH is rightfully floundering in the gutter.

• Members

I really do believe the generally held belief that they thought their reality shows (obviously, particularly Revolution) would be much bigger than they were, and that within a year GH would be gone too with an all reality line up. I guess for a variety of reasons GH just got the last chance (I found an old SOD from Spring 2010 and that week actually (it was Feb something--the ratings) AMC had a 1.8, OLTL a 1.7 and GH a 1.7 under it. But I know OLTL got better demos (I think?) than either of the other two.

• Members

I guess the thinking there was, why should ABC cancel one soap that makes a profit in an era when others don't? After all, to say a soap "deserves" to stay on the air because it's "good" -- that could be awfully subjective. But really, if profitability is the true yardstick, then any soap deserves to be saved unless and until it loses money.

• Members

Oh it was. It just because a sticking point since we had only once had one semi-official statement about it coming under budget for a month. Then the word on forums was all about how much money OLTL always saves ABC etc with nothing more backing that up. Though I suspect it was true--just the way it was handled like fact.

Archived