Is JFP a better fit for Y&R than GH?

• Members

Honestly I think JFPs young and the restless so far has been decent. The ratings are up 700000 from last year. So far it's far from perfect but next to maria arena bells horrid plot driven stories with miscast soap vets and crashing ratings. The show is much improved and I thinking young and restless and the tone of it are much better fit for JFP then her horrid run at GH. I still think the woman is a major bitch but I will give her some credit.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

so far I'd say no. I think she's had the least impact on this show of any she's taken over. All of the changes she's overseen had to be done and would have been done by any other Sony-installed EP. She's changed directors/lighting and sets and some has been for the better but none are make or break changes. The biggest thing was cutting down the cast and getting rid of all the newbies which Sony dictated and she complied. The true change would come from compelling stories and so far the choice of Griffith has been lackluster to say the least. The show is downright boring.

• Members

^

I agree. Josh Griffith needs a co-HW and I think it's time they woo back Kay Alden & John F. Smith . . . or woo back my fave HW of all time, Nancy Curlee (despite her retiring from writing soaps years ago).

But Jill is alright. I mean it's better than MAB. The sets look WAY better (with the exception of the "new" Newman Ranch but I digress). I'm still waiting on whether to say "yay" or "nay" when it comes to how she's done thus far b/c Jill does small changes to the sets, the casts, etc, but a few months from now (if she's lucky to remain) will be the real test. If I see Jill with a psycho doppleganger, veteran characters dropping like flies, and Robert Kelker Kelly showing up, I'm going to snap.

• Members

I never saw Phelps' work on GH as I never watched the show itself but I'll comment on how I feel so far. It's been six months since the changeover occurred, and since then yes storyline wise the show has made headway. The newer characters are refreshing to watch and Avery in the lead is better than Phyllis but why is she paired with Nick of all people ugh. The biggest problem as I've said before is the show needs a hook to keep the stories interesting. Definitely not MAB/Sheffer/Hamner/Rauch-style madness but at least something.

I think the biggest problem is the show has really lost the Y&R feel in a way to it. It's not really Phelps' fault as the problem began under Latham and made as bad under Rauch, but I think Phelps' style, which while I can't complain about, has eliminated those final touches such as Y&R's timeless classic musical scores that even MAB sneaked in from time to time. I'll see how Y&R is doing come September when it's been a year since the change to make another judgement but I think if Phelps, Griffith, and Sony can actually keep it together they might could have something. Y&R was a well oiled machine from 1973-2004/2005, so why not try to understand why it was.

• Members

Despite her badly flawed track record, I think that MAB's final year was pretty good. There's nothing terribly wrong with Y&R under JFP, but I do object to her choosing no-talent actors to fill the youth roles.

• Members

He really does. He's good at sorta day to day stuff I think--structure, etc. But the show under him, from what I've seen, has been stable, things have made a lot more sense, and it's also been pretty dull. Even major soapy plot points that should be high melodrama seem to be played, well, dull. I think he's a talented guy--just look how much worse Michael Malone's writing is when Josh isn't around (even if their last brief stint on OLTL together was, well, weird, it once again fell apart when he left due to complaints about working under Frons.)

• Members

She sucks on Y&R because unlike some of the other shows she was on, she didn't look at what makes Y&R's production special and enhance that. She completely has gutted the show from a production stand point. Look at an episode of B&B (which has maintained, but modernized the Bell style) and you will see the difference. It doesn't help that the show has such an uninspiring headwriter. I said from Day One that Josh Griffin wasn't the guy for the job. He simply isn't an interesting writer and never has been. At best he needs to be Co-HW, but the one doing the backup. He is not a strong leader.

• Members

While I agree that things can get a little dull and that the music is a mess, some of the things I'm reading here or just not true:

JFP got rid of all the newbies? What? Did not happen.

JFP chose no-talent actors to fill the youth roles? Did not happen.

JFP gutted the show from a production standpoint? Did not happen.

Making outlandish claims -- with NO supporting evidence -- is outright laughable.

• Members

People say JG is a boring headwriter. I think this show really needs a "boring" headwriter for a while after the MAB madness with all the crazy stories at the same time. A co-headwriter is needed, someone who has worked on the show for many yeas.

My problem with JFP is that she turns every show into the same generic soap without an inspired writer working with her. I hope she doesn't do this with Y&R.

I hate the B&B crossovers. After the GH/OLTL fiasco we should forget them for a few years.

Archived