Margaret Thatcher has passed away

dragonflies

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

End of an era. She may have been head of the Conservative party but she was in a lot of ways a true radical in the policies she pushed through. More than the Labour party ever did, these policies changed the face of the British working class forever (for better... and for worse). Plus she was one of the few politicians who really had the courage of her convictions (regardless of whether you agreed with them or not). Nowadays PMs just do what their spin doctors tell them to do. The Iron Lady had an overriding vision, and an understanding of the longer-term.

• Members

I remember once she was addressing these protestors who did not want to lose perpetual unemployment benefits (at the time your benefits if unemployed ran forever). They were yelling and she just said "why don't you just go get jobs!". I love that because it is so simple. She was hated as much as people liked her, and sometimes with good reason, but she was a patriot who was determined to keep Britain significant. Her husband was often portrayed as a drunk but that added to the charm.

• Members

+1.

I'm sick of all the "she was such a great role model for woman".. Like, really? She said and I quote: "I owe nothing to women's lib. The feminists hate me, don't they? And I don't blame them. For I hate feminism. It is poison."

Not to mention all the other crap she did...

Archived