MTV: RuPaul's Drag Race

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Is anyone watching this season? Angeria, Willow, and Deja are decent queens, but the whole franchise really feels bloated, burnt out, and rote. I think making each episode two hours lends itself to a lot of flab (the endless maxi-challenge performances that take one bad joke, like a soap opera with flatulence, and run it into the ground). 

Daya Betty is a weak, obnoxious villain.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

My fave is Willow Pill, hands down. She's relatable and consistently different in all her runways. Plus, her look is always different and keeps people guessing. Her drag mother from what I hear is Evie Oddley? Although she hasn't won the most challenges, she's usually the Top 3. I like Angeria who I feel will most likely be Miss Congeniality for Season 14. This season of course is taking way too long, but if VH-1 had asked World of Wonder for more episodes, the producers can only do so much I suppose. I believe that the gold chocolate bar (which should be based on probability) was fake and staged AF.

Daya Betty I don't really have a problem with, lol! I think the reason why she comes off as an obnoxious villain is because the producers are telling her to do it, lol! She's not my fave, but that girl can be competitive. 

• Members

I know Drag Race has evolved from the Logo days when it was essentially a parody of Top Model and Project Runway (partially due to the fact it has outlasted the source material).  However, I can't help but believe every time they refuse to eliminate a queen that they are intentionally f-ing with the audience.

I think it is part of the joke that it is still considered a competition.   I mean when Ru quoted the rules on All-Stars and punctuated, "of which there are many", that was funny.  There are no established rules or standards for drag excellence, so the random nature has always felt like part of the campiness of the show itself.

I also think that fans that get too caught up in spoilers and the drama of the eliminations are missing the point of the show.  It is a silly variety show, much like when Donny & Marie had Charles Nelson-Reilly on their show while ice skating to disco music (perhaps too old of a reference, but hopefully my point is still clear). 

• 2 months later...
  • Members

You really have to give it to Trixie Mattel, whether she's a favourite of yours or not, for becoming the most successful queen from the franchise, when she could have easily been forgotten after her original season. The true epitome of C.U.N.T. 

Edited by Bright Eyes

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Some people might argue there’s no tension on All Stars 7, since no one sashays away at the end of each episode. But I prefer this format for All Stars over the usual contrived Survivor format. It allows us to simply enjoy the company of cast members we’d admired from past years, as everyone sticks around for the whole season. Granted, it’s easier to do this when the talent level is this high (all winners).

• Members

I've always felt that eliminating a queen in Wk 1 is a little unfair, so I think there should be no elimination in the first week to give everyone at least two chances to strutt their stuff and the audience to get to know them better.

Maybe that could even be extended to maybe 4 weeks before the first elimination. During that time there could be some other reward or demerit  that might come into play when eliminations begin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Kind of a meh end to a fun season. I don’t like a whole episode of lip-syncs. (They should have added in some spoken-word clips to mix it up, like they did with the Designing Woman Julia Sugarbaker monologue. Like maybe doing Tyra’s rant to Tiffany from ANTM, if they could secure the rights. Hell, even Erica Kane’s Woman of the Year meltdown from AMC would be epic. At least give the queens, especially folks like Jinkx, the ability to show a different skill set from vamping to pop tracks. Throw in some jazz like Ella again. Do a power ballad. It would have made the show more interesting and less one-sided.)

This whole All Stars season really was RuPaul’s Best Friends’ Race, with zero negative judging or on-screen feuding. But it’s funny how almost everyone in this all-winners’ cast has posted something negative on social media about either how they were portrayed or BTS favoritism.

Edited by Faulkner