GH 50: Discussion for the Month of April - May 3, 2013

• Members

I totally agree. This boring rest of back burner and supporting is exactly what she needed after the way Guza absolutely trashed her, esp in the end there to prop up JJLucky for not reason.

Elizabeth has been a constant for nearly 15 years. She is a Hardy and a Webber, She has been involved in hugely popular pairings. She has given birth to kids who can, and should be the next generation. She is, to me, a prime example of what a soap opera character should be - easily can be a leading lady, play a supporting role, be sexual and kind of a vixen but still a heroine too.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

+100 but I'm also a little biased lol

Now ... onto yesterday's episode.

I liked Stavros popping up (some of us kinda figured as much) as their captor. Genie and Tony really gotta start showing up for work though. I find myself so bored by them and I hate that I feel that way about Luke and Laura. Liz and Alexis and Nikolas felt like filler. I liked the followup with Liz/AJ over the phone. That was sweet.

I lol'd at Brenda and Carly. Carly's reaction fit her perfectly and Brenda looked to be enjoying toying with Carly. Obviously nothing happened. I mean, was this all necessary? Not really, but it is what it is. AJ's reaction was great.

I'm getting bored with Duke/Anna. I want a bit more character exploration. I mean, I like when we get a sliver, but give me a little bit more. I mean Duke should be furious Faison ruined their reunion. We saw some from Anna but I don't know, there's something missing. I feel like they don't know what to do with this couple. Not wanting to rush them together but not playing out much with them either. IDK.

It was nice seeing Felicia/Mac and Scotty/Bobbie on today. I like how easily Scotty and Bobbie just still fit onto the canvas. All these characters, and it's like they never should have been gone in the first place.

I want more of this GH. It was enjoyable. Was everything wonderful? No, but it wasn't a bad episode by any means.

• Members

The question to me is why was he there after about 1996? Once the initial story of his arrival and the chaos it caused in the Spencers wore off, the only interesting about him was Tyler Christopher's good looks and charisma, and that faded over time. He and Emily had some fans, I guess, but their stories were hideous and incredibly offensive, and any story he had outside of Emily was mostly a flop with viewers.

• Members

It's because all soaps seemed to want to do were rotate characters in different couplings, give them some baby drama and start all over again. There was never much substance, so a lot of characters just became pretty generic and interchangable.

• Members

Like a lot of your observations, KMan101. That particular thing you wrote about Scotty and Bobbie reminded me, I forgot to mention how I thought it was great how Scotty helped Michael get away and how he was in the background reacting while Bobbie and Carly were talking. The blending in has seemed to work great. They saved Brenda's life, haha!

I also like how people still worked the previous night at the Nurses Ball into conversation even though it was over. During those three days, I have to admit, I forgot about Luke and Laura a little, but it was good that the show didn't treat the two things as separate, with Anna both talking about what happened the previous night and still concerned about Luke and Laura. Port Charles just chose to enjoy itself for a few hours, but that doesn't meant they'd forgotten they had several missing citizens. Also Scotty was not part of the festivities, which makes sense even beyond budget reasons because he would have been one of the most worried with Laura missing.

I liked AJ's spit-out-his-drink reaction to Michael spending the night with Brenda too, forgot to mention that. Can't wait for a follow-up. You can only do that with a character like Brenda with rich history. There's story to tell there because of how long these characters have known each other.

Carl, GH's writing cratered after 1996/97, and it wasn't too long before characters who weren't mob-related stopped getting good stories. That's why I stopped watching. So the potential of Nikolas as the character is not to blame for that. Nikolas also lost his family with Laura gone, and Stefan a few years after, and Lucky recast, but Laura is back now and the Cassadines seem to be back in force as well.

• Members

I'm not sure of that. Even characters I may think sucked had a certain strong base or had some stories that were appealing. I never liked Jason very much but I can't deny he still had popular stories for most of his run. Other than a few years with Emily, I don't remember anything for Nik. He bombed with Sarah Webber, they were at a loss for him after that until the Katherine affair, which also wasn't popular...he and Gia had a following but that wasn't TC. TC came back, he and Emily had some fans, but then you got wonderful stories like "Emily is raped by her husband's double" and "why doesn't Emily get over her rape and understand that her husband has needs," and "Emily is murdered so that Nik can scream at the tumor in his head for a few months," and the patent non-story with Nadine, and the story with Rebecca that was quickly wrapped up for whatever reason, then the Nik/Liz fiasco, which mostly turned into a marathon of JJ screaming and crying.

I think Nik is one of those characters who served a purpose for one story (the Cassadine reintroduction) and foundered afterward.

• Members

I didn't expect Stavros, so it was a well kept secret and a shocker, which is all I think this story will deliver! I would have loved it if Laura didn't tell the audience who it was. Let her be stunned (not constipated) and then we see for ourselves that it Stavros. LL are as lackluster as two people could possibly be so any jolt we could get from this would be great. Any!

Not sure I can say I like RKK as an actor, but he sure as hell is good to look at.

• Members

Are these stories going anywhere, though? I'll answer that: Not a damn bit! It's just "shocking twist" after "surprising turn" after "dropped story for 8 episodes."

SURPRISING TWIST! AJ'S ALIVE AND HE'S COME BACK TO TOWN TO CLAIM MICHAEL SO, TOGETHER, THEY CAN... chase a jar of relish.

SURPRISING TWIST! DUKE'S ALIVE! HE'S ESCAPED FAISON AND HAS COME BACK TO TOWN... to steal a jar of relish.

SURPRISING TWIST! STAVROS IS ALIVE... and I hope to GOD this sonofabitch better not be obsessed with relish.

Exactly. Which, sadly, is why I don't recognize it in anything you do.

There you have it.

Archived