Kelly Clarkson comments on the "misinformation" that Clive Davis is serving...

Angela

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In the end, she kind of proved his point too. She went right back the melodic Max Martin and Dr. Luke productions she tried so hard to escape from with My December on the next album and dominated it with Ryan Tedder, who was then the flavour of month producer/writer for many pop artists.

Kelly's commercial and pop cultural peak will always be Breakaway era. That's why people loved her, she could sing and generic pop music just suited her better than anything else. I don't listen to her music because I want to feel something deep and powerful (because sorry, she's not that type of artist IMO), I listen to it because she has some fun songs that are catchy.

• Members

I looked it up and it says that "My December" has sold 836,000 copies so far. Hardly a failure. But then, after the success Madonna had, selling 4 and 5 million albums, Warner Brothers was pissed that "Erotica" sold only 2 million copies, they considered THAT a failure. And to quote her... "In WHAT UNIVERSE???!" Clive Davis is an ass. Martha told me that when she signed to Arista, she knew she was in for trouble when she went to his house and while she was waiting to see him, she heard Melissa Manchester cursing him up one side and down the other. And sure enough, he was very controlling in the studio, she just said to him "You ain't gonna tell me how to sing!" She only recorded the one album for him, and then left and went to Fantasy.

• Members

Clive responded. He said he has 5 people whose job it is to be around him all the time (possibly 1 at a time) and he fact-checked with them. Pfft. LOL.

I love so many of her songs. Breakaway, Yes! This one too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0T3WAbU6tg

And BTHE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yipoOY56MbM

Girl could have been huge® if she didn't back talk Clive so much. He would have done her right in terms of promotion if she was obedient. I'm on her side though, it would have been like selling your soul to the devil for (more) fame.

Back to favorites. The remix of BOY is awesome as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0oenkCT8EY

• 2 months later...
  • Members

My fav song was Never Again, and I think Clive Davis did stuff behind the scenes to sabotage the success of that album because airplay dropped for the single, though digital sales remained strong. I think he did the same thing to Melissa Manchester back in the 80s as well.

Though I think Kelly Clarkson could have had a bigger career, it isn't as if she has a minor career by any stretch. She's been around ten plus years and is a testament of AI's appeal.

Lastly, props to her for standing up for herself and not allowing herself to be bullied. Too much bullying nowadays on the playgrounds and in the boardrooms as well.

Archived