GH: Lucy/John/Sam/Duke spoilers from TV Guide

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually, it's closer to the final episode of "St. Elsewhere," where the writers made the decision to write off the show's entire run as autistic Tommy Westphall's imagination. Tom Fontana, who came up with the idea, has said on-record that he did so in order to distance himself from a series that had been a major part of his life for so long and was now ending. Many have praised the twist; however, I felt it was disloyal to the viewers who had kept the show on the air for six, low-rated seasons. (It's one thing to make it clear up-front and from the beginning that everything you're watching is a fantasy, but to reveal as much at the end? After how many years? I don't think so.) Not only that, but because "St. Elsewhere" was a show that referenced so many other shows, and which was itself referenced in later shows, we now have the ridic theory that most of primetime TV for the past three decades (or so) has existed solely in one person's twisted imagination. rolleyes.gif

But you are right, of course, about DALLAS and KNOTS LANDING. In that particular situation, David Jacobs and his team at KNOTS had gotten a lot of good story out of Bobby Ewing's "death" on DALLAS, and he felt undoing all of it and dismissing an entire year of KNOTS as a dream as well would have cost their show all the viewer goodwill they had worked so hard to build. As Jacobs himself intimated in one interview, he was pissed that Leonard Katzman would come up with such an idea without at least consulting him and Michael Filerman, so that's when he decided to split KNOTS away from DALLAS for good and have his show operate in a "universe" where Bobby had remained dead.

• Members

No, I'm not complaining because GH has chosen to acknowledge PC's supernatural bent. IMO, everything that happened on PC should be considered "canon," like it or not. I'm just worried that, again, it'll all be dismissed as a dream or delusion, or that Ronnie C. will come up with an explanation for all the coincidences that will be so convoluted that it will make "A Tale of Two Todds" look like "Our Mutual Friend." Maybe he'll prove my fears to be baseless...but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have my doubts.

• Members

Case in point: Tom Hughes' pre-1980 history on AS THE WORLD TURNS. Douglas Marland used Tom's stint in Vietnam in order to create the character of Lien, his long-lost, illegitimate daughter. Of course, that was an exception (that I can think of offhand). Otherwise, because casting Justin Deas in the role essentially de-aged Tom, most of what the character had done throughout the previous decade -- specifically, his marriages to Carol and Natalie -- was considered unusable after awhile. Not that it didn't happen, but the show had to go to the trouble of avoiding any and all mentions, lest it raised in the minds of viewers questions they weren't altogether prepared to answer.

• Members

In a way, though, that would be just as bad for the show, if not worse. All this sound and fury over Lucy's past "occupation" as a vampire slayer, along with the fact that Sam, John and Duke all resemble other people who also lived in Port Charles once upon a time and whom she (Lucy) had tangled with; and in the end, it has little-to-no long-term impact on the current canvas? Talk about wasting everyone's time! LOL!

As I've said, Ronnie C. was better off leaving all of this alone.

• Members

Yes I read about that back when I watched much of St Elsewhere on reruns maybe ten years back. As slushfactory says:

" St. Elsewhere is the Kevin Bacon of TV shows.

Stay with me now, this is complicated but kind of fun.

Characters from St. Elsewhere have appeared on Homicide, which means that show is part of the autistic child’s daydream and likewise doesn’t exist. It gets worse. The omnipresent Detective John Munch from Homicide has appeared on X-Files, Law & Order and Law & Order: SVU. Law & Order characters have appeared on Law & Order: Criminal Intent. X-Files characters have appeared on The Lone Gunmen and Millennium. Characters from Chicago Hope have appeared on Homicide. Characters from Picket Fences have appeared on Chicago Hope. All those shows are gone (if you count cartoons, which makes this game much too easy, the X-Files characters have appeared on The Simpsons. The Critic has also appeared on The Simpsons. Dead).

Characters from Picket Fences have appeared on Ally McBeal. Ally McBeal has appeared on The Practice. Characters from The Practice have appeared on Boston Public. Autistic daydreams, every one.

But that's not all. St Elsewhere characters have appeared on Cheers, so Fraiser doesn’t exist. Neither do Wings, Caroline In The City or The Tortellis but who cares? Well, maybe you do, because Caroline In The City once crossed over with Friends, which crossed over with Mad About You, which crossed over with Seinfeld and The Dick Van Dyke show. None of them happened in our new, shared continuity.

St. Elsewhere also shared characters with The White Shadow and It’s Gary Shandling’s Show. Garry Shandling crossed over with The Andy Griffith show (no, really!). So Gomer Pyle, Mayberry RFD, and Make Room for Daddy/The Danny Thomas Show are gone. Make Room For Daddy takes out I love Lucy.

And there’s more, St. Elsewhere also shares continuity with M*A*S*H, so Aftermash and Trapper John MD are out of there.

Now here’s a good one, St. Elsewhere shared a patient with The Bob Newhart Show, so the Bob Newhart Show is part of the grand daydream. The Bob Newhart Show crossed over with Murphy Brown, which in turn links to, among many others: Julia, The Nanny, Everybody Loves Raymond and I Dream of Jeannie! Meanwhile, the series Newhart was revealed to be a nightmare had by Bob Newhart’s character on the Bob Newhart Show. Newhart crossed over with Coach, which connects it to Grace Under Fire, Ellen and Drew Carey. Drew Carey takes out Home Improvement and NYPD Blue.

All of these shows (and many more that I left out or missed) are daydreams of St. Elsewhere’s autistic kid"

http://www.slushfactory.com/content/EpupypyZAZTDOLwdfz.php I found the ending cheap--maybe partly because I have an autistic step-brother (although who knows, maybe he's created a complex multiyear medical drama as well), but it is funny how it effects everything else. That's why you just might as well ignore it. The cross-over page claims it's even connected to Oz. That's some weird imagination...

Oddly the crossovers/spin off super page includes cartoons but not soaps http://www.poobala.com/crossoverlistb.html

Had David Jacobs basically left Dallas by then? I know Knots, which he created first, was more of his baby, but...

LOL! wub.png

Archived