GH: Lucy/John/Sam/Duke spoilers from TV Guide

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Frank was chatting with a woman online who turned out to be Karens mom in the 70s somehow and he told her not to go on a date, but that date happened to be when she got prego with karen so karen vanished and frank had to go back in time to fix it all, i think. and maybe a candle was involved?

• Members

Didn't Ian actually see Patrick's ghost at one point? It seemed odd that they bothered making them twins... (Of course apparently Patrick isn't dead but the back of the head of an extra we now know, but seeing someone's ghost and having them come back from he dead is nothing new on soaps). I didn't remember "Marty" as their sister though LOL! Sigh--must search on youtube.

I watched Time in a Bottle actually, it may have been the only one I watched all of (that might have been around the time I was stuck in bed with bad pneumonia) and quite liked it. Critically, while PC and its supernatural stuff is often nowseen as a joke, the first couple of books were taken fairly postively, I seem to remember. (I also remember the endless ads with "time in a bottle" the song playing...)

PC always had one big hurdle regardless of quality--and it was one that Loving had for much of its time as wel as The City. That time slot. They were never shows that were known well enough to lead the ABC lineup, there was always odd programming (either a 30 minute news between it and other soaps, etc), a ton of affiliates simply didn't carry it (I remember when I lived in Edmonton I had family friends who basically seemed to follow all of the soaps--this would have been when I was 10 or so--and the ABC they got, I believe from Spokane, simply didn't carry Loving) etc. Agnes Nixon probably should have pushed harder to get Loving sandwiched between AMC and OLTL as she wanted (and yes, I know later on Ryan's Hope was thrown under the bus when it switched timeslots with Loving, losing a ton of viewers--which seems odd to me with just a 30 minute switch--and Loving only gaining a few).

• Members

Fate and Time in a Bottle were both panned by the soap press, although by that time it was full of the likes of Hinsey. Tainted Love was the main one that got praise. I preferred Time in a Bottle, mostly because Jay Pickett was a better actor in a few months than anyone in Tainted Love has been their entire career. Unfortunately the show mostly saw the short-term strength of Tainted Love and ran it into the ground, and continue to do so today with the Sam/John heavy breathing contests.

• Members

I liked the early arcs, particularly the non-supernatural ones like when they got going with Ian and Eve. I gave up on the show around Caleb, though my ex just adored it and still does. I think that structurally the arcs worked for them, and I think it was a model any future websoap would do well to follow. I often admired them, though, for continuing to branch out story-wise. Until the end, when everyone was a [!@#$%^&*] vampire and there was no trace of sanity or consistency left.

The most ridiculous thing I ever saw PC do was when they swapped Joy Bisco's characters in a single day. Bisco had come on the show playing streetwise 'angel' Casey, who ascended back to Heaven at the end of that arc. Bisco had been popular with the audience so they brought her back by introducing Casey's living cousin or sister, Marissa. Marissa was a bore, though, so one day, for some byzantine reason I can't recall, Marissa had to be sentenced to oblivion and through a series of insane magical contrivances, Casey returned to Earth in her place! Tada! It made Ron Carlivati's craziest [!@#$%^&*] look sedate.

• Members

That would make sense by OLTL guidelines, but I swear I read that mentioned in the OLTL trivia book section on crossovers... But I think I'm prob confusing it with something else. I still kinda wonder why they decided to bring him on as Ian--simply so that he could still potentially return to OLTL with Marty as Patrick?

Right--though as DS proved eventually it's hard to keep varried supernatrual stories going without hitting a rut, the fact that they seemed more and more obsessed with vampires seemed to be part of their undoing--I missed big chunks, but like Vee said, I remember near the end it seemed like everyone was a vampire or something..

• Members

It was just like Alexandra Devane on AMC. It's like an insurance policy. We get fan interest from the mother show, and the seed is planted if we ever want to officially connect them in the future and bring back the more popular original character.

• Members

I always assumed they just decided that Finola, as much as I love her and think she's a big talent, sucked at trying to play someone different who obviously seemed to be Anna, so finally decided just to drop Alex and stick with Anna.

Re the vampires:

"TV Guide Magazine: What's up with this talk of a vampire storyline related to the events of the short-lived GH spin-off Port Charles?

Valentini: We're not doing vampires. Because we have Michael (Easton, who plays John) and Lynn who were both on Port Charles with Kelly, we're just doing a nod."

Archived