Y&R December Discussion 2012

• Members

You talk about Liz Hendrickson being free of chemistry, and yet act like Bryton is any different. He has been a complete non-event since he showed up..and has been on there for years, and we have been subjected to his god-awful relatives, chemistryless relationships, terrible storyline, and bland acting.

They were nothing more than stunt casting, they were treated no better and no worse than Genie Francis, and at least she had more of a place than Darnell.

Rachel hadn't been useful since the 90's. Pointless recast. And she failed to even prove to be popular, I don't remember much hoopla around her on these boards and many saw her as unnecessary (which is the perfect description of Rachel).

If Kristolyn Lloyd is considered one of the best young actors B&B has ever had, then that's a damn shame. She is about as entertaining as Sonny on DOOL, aka not really.

Of course Liz Hendrickson got a contract, she was a "big name" with a big following from AMC. The two are hardly comparable, it's not like Angel played a popular character on an ABC soap, that CBS just couldn't wait to grab and push on their canvas.

I'm not saying daytime has done a good job with black characters, but some of these points would be better proven, if the characters you picked were actually something to write home about.

I think REG, who played a popular black character with major storylines and was a popular actress, just being let go while they fought tooth and nail to keep TSJ, would have made a better point.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I should have saved my earlier post because after trying to post on this board I just gave up but needless to say I remain unimpressed with the writing for YR's black actors. YR is continuing their blatant tokenism only this time they are hiding behind new black faces they hired who will eventually be day players. None of these characters will ever drive their own story or be part of major storylines. What they are doing with Neil is disgusting. This man just got fired by Jack and he either has to suck it up and remain unemployed or beg for his job back at Chancellor. Worse, ask Victor for a job when he regains NE. Maybe they'll save him the humiliation by offering before he asks. He's a football being tossed around by the major players because the writers refuse to write him as a contender. It's insulting.

And people may not like CL/Lily but her airtime will be zero if they break Lane up and put her with Leslie's brother.

The new assistant at NE had a few lines and suddenly YR is so diverse because they have all these black people.

Don't even get me started on Dayzee/BB who's non existent airtime is another offender. They should can her ass too since she's so "boring". That will free up her one episode a month airtime because airhogs Steffy and Hope are so much more exciting.

• Members

Have any of Devon's relationships ever had more than a tiny amount of airtime? I don't care that much about them, but I don't think they got a tenth of all the flop pairings Chloe has been in.

Rachel had tons of potential as a character, and I thought DD did a good job with what she was given. She was given a lousy story with a terrible actor (Terrell Tilford), and then dumped as part of ABC's purge of just about anyone who wasn't white and straight.

• Members

Not true.

Bryton has had a ton of chemistry with every female he's been chemistry tested with (including Chloe) but he has NEVER been given anywhere near the same opportunities his white co-stars have in terms of romantic pairings.

In the four years Chloe has been on the show she has been with almost every man in her age group (complete with very unpopular heavy frontburner storylines & unnecessary retcons for for forced family ties).

While in the almost 10 years Devon has been on the show he has had one interracial kiss, ONE abbreviated love scene (with a character that he thought he was related to a few minutes earlier) and an implied relationship with a recurring character that appears like 5 episodes a year.

And Bryton doesn't even get a third of the airtime afforded overrated scenery chewers like Braeden, Bergman, MTS & St. Giggly (even while being related to one of the most important families on the show) so he's hardly wasting screentime like Liz Hendrickson & her failed pairings & unpopular stories are.

It doesn't matter what black characters were picked to make the point because as always there's excuses to be made for why they & the actors that play them are substandard and thus undeserving of equal treatment by the writers, the fans and Daytime in general.

• Members

Bryton is a good actor and DeeeDee you're right to say he's had chemistry with many females. Chloe and Abby are two obvious examples, but Roxanne could've been a huge character if given screentime. Y&R's problem with the black audience is their fault. For Neil, I do think Ashley was a viable love interest, but she was taken from him as soon as a viable white lead came available. It was liek he wasn't good enough for her. There wasn't even fallout with her cheating on him.

And I'm sorry, but Kristolyn Lloyd is a damn good actress and is VERY wasted by B&B. I understand Liam, Hope & Steffy are proven ratings magnets, but they need to develop that group more. Amber should've been kept around and keep Dayzee involved in the story. They don't need Caroline when they had Amber and Dayzee who are more interesting.

Back to Y&R, these new writers are doing the same racist garbage of segregating all the colored folk and will probably still give them limited screentime. When viewers don't respond to their 2 episodes a month they'll say viewers didn't want to see them and we'll continue in circles. Why, with all the returns, hasn't Olivia been given a storyline? She spent 15 years on the frontburner almost non-stop. That obviously means she was popular. Instead, they bring her back like a day player to do nothing. Even Tricia Cast gets a little story here or there. The ONLY reason Olivia wasn't given more is because she's black. Maria loved those little two week to a month stories, but Olivia was the only returnee who got absolutely nothing. Hell, they even brought back Malcolm, Olivia's husband and baby daddy and she had nothing to do with it. Ridiculous.

IMO, in order to properly salvage their "black" side of things they need to re-integrate them and have them all over the canvas and see what works best. Neil and Olivia should both be on contract as your tentpole black characters (since they won't bring Dru back), they can either recast Malcolm or re-pair Neil & Olivia or again, try them around the canvas. Lily and Tyler could work and then with Devon I'd try him with Chloe or put him in a proper relationship with Roxanne. They also need someone like Mamie to serve as a matriarch for that family. This current Neil/Leslie thing isn't going to work.

• Members

I don't know what he is at this point. According to Michael Baldwin, it appears that he has in fact violated procedures that were required in order for him to work outside of his jurisdiction. Alex also seems to have a "fetish" for repeatedly harassing Noah with the same line of questioning.

• Members

I honestly see no chemistry between BJ and TA but I saw some between BJ/EH and BJ/MR. I don't see how a Devon/Chloe or Devon/Abby hookup would be successful though if both those women aren't all that liked. I'm one of the few who do think EH has had chemistry with some male actors but its not sexual chemistry. Chlovin are horrid but that's just as much GR's fault as EH's imo. I think Chloe should perhaps be single and in a business story. She should be at Jabot. I can't take CK any kind of seriously standing around in business suits.

Archived