Recasts that never materialized

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, that was true. NLG turned down the role, I believe. Later she said she regretted it, as a little more time off soaps made her realize just how few strong roles there were for women.

Another would be Christine Tudor winning the role of Karen on OLTL, before OLTL decided Judith Light couldn't be replaced.

• Members

I definitely think Gina would have stayed if she had taken the role. And that they would've written her Victoria as stronger.

That said, I am an Amelia Heinle fan and I'm glad she's still with the show. I'd only want her gone if TPTB were able to get Heather Tom back.

• Members

Gina Tognoni made the right choice at GL. She fit as Dinah, but she's a limited actress in terms of what she can play. When she returned to OLTL she was a total dud, not even coming close to filling Heather Tom's shoes. I doubt she would've been able to do it at Y&R. Also, she turned down the role of Aggie on B&B which went to Sarah Brown.

GL was also casting for Michelle before the show was canceled. Alicia Leigh Willis and Bethann Bonner were frontrunners, but when the show got canceled they just brought Nancy St. Alban back.

• Members

I've heard Gina Tognoni turned down Carly at GH twice - once when JFP ran off Sarah Brown, then again when Tamara Braun left.

Reported before, but Agnes Nixon wanted Robin Strasser to take over the role of Cathy Craig on OLTL in the '70s - the 'liberated young woman' and feminist writer who was slightly nuts and had had a baby out of wedlock with co-worker Joe Riley, Viki's husband. Cathy was at that time embroiled in a triangle with George Reinholt's Tony Lord and Jacqueline Courtney's Pat Ashley, so it would've duplicated the famed Rachel/Steve/Alice triangle of Another World. Robin did not deign to be a recast at that time, and turned it down.

• Members

At Michael Zaslow's suggestion, Robin met with JFP about replacing Beverlee McKinsey who'd just vacated the role of Alexandra on GL. The meeting went well, they talked about how they'd "youthen" the role and such, it was practically a done deal. JFP was in the middle of contracts and said she'd get back to Robin shortly about making it official. Robin was spotted by a member of the soap press as she left CBS, and she remembered her promise to first check in with OLTL if she ever wanted back in daytime. She was introduced to Linda Gottlieb (who wasn't really familiar with Robin's work but was banking on her reputation and history with the show) who promptly hired her in time for the show's 25th anniversary (Elaine Princi was unceremoniously let go).

Archived