Puerto Rico to become 51st state?

Eric83

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It has bipartisan support, but considering the ramifications, Republicans may start singing a different tune. That could equal two new Democratic Senators, maybe five Democratic Representatives and more electoral votes for Democrats, as Puerto Rico would likely be a Democratic stronghold.

• Members

That would pretty much cap my fuckin' week and the profound shift in this nation.

If the Republicans were smart - which they are not - they would get in on this alongside Democrats. That's their only shot at a future.

• Members

If the majority of Puerto Ricans want this, I say welcome! I cannot wait to see what the Republicans do.

LOL! There is no such thing as immigration from Puerto Rico. They are American citizens who can live anywhere that they want in the United States.

• Members

Yes that is true....all of the residents of the U.S. territories with the exception of American Samoa (which are U.S. Nationals -- which I'm not exactly sure what the difference is) are American citizens and can freely come and go anywhere else in the country....this includes Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, and the Northern Mariana Islands.

• Members

Oops yeah I meant migration. I'm curious to see how it impacts migration. Because even though I have friends who are Puerto Rican who I adore and know some great ones who work hard at the same time where I live you have people coming and going just to get welfare checks(I kid not I spoke to one lady who's hubby flew in for a week just so they could get their money). I'm curious to see how this would impact that mentality.

Archived