GH: November 2012 Discussion Thread

• Members

Natalia Livingston got a contract. Steve Burton got to be the star of the show. Maybe I am cynical but I don't think many if any of the actors on GH are hired because of their talent. When your leading men are 5'8 suddenly no actresses 5'9 need apply. So now you settle for the best of the pint-sized pretties that walk through your door, and that's why all the leading ladies of GH take "petite" to new levels except for Laura Wright who was never going to be paired with the male stars anyway. The role is not worth recasting. GH is a white bread show, and they only pay lip service to showcasing anyone with even the hint of a suntan (unless it is spray on) and there just is no compelling need in their eyes to make this guy a major character. Therefore, why recast him?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It ties in because he got hired by the same way of thinking every 5'1 actress on GH got hired. "We need a short girl" = "we need a black guy". The difference is the short girls will be in starring roles because the stars of the show are short men. The black guy will not be the star of the show because the stars of the show are men. They wanted a black guy anyway because their cast was a joke the way they never hired anyone who was of any sort of minority at all. I just think in his case his wooden delivery doesn't help his cause and to tie this back into what was the real topic, what was up with the Shawn/Alexis scene and not race problems in GH casting, had he shown even a pulse maybe this scene would have been better and this couple might have a shot.

• Members

All the actors who have received Emmys for their work on GH (Rachel Ames, Gerald Anthony, Maurice Benard, Julie Berman, Chad Brannon, Sarah Brown, Steve Burton, Stuart Damon, Jane Elliot, Genie Francis, Anthony Geary, Nancy Lee Grahn, Peter Hansen, Rick Hearst, Finola Hughes, Jonathan Jackson, Anna Lee, David Lewis, Natalia Livingston, Vanessa Marcil, Kimberly McCullough, Rena Sofer, Laura Wright, & Jacob Young), were in my opinion, all very deserving.

• Members

While I would never pin Connie on anyone but Ron Carlivati, there was some form of a crazy Kate story in the works before Garin Wolf split. They already had it in the scripts and such before the OLTL team arrived. And yes - I watched before Ron took over - Garin Wolf was doing Johnny and Carly already. Whether or not Shawn would've factored in, I have no idea. I heard something about them moving him to Kate's story. I don't like that they ended the Shawn and Carly thing but the groundwork was there prior to FV and RC.

And bland. She bored me to tears and annoyed me; I much preferred Rachel's return. But that's me, and it's not relevant.

I agree. But I don't think that started with RC and FV. I think they were shortchanging Shawn long before that. I frankly thought they had relegated LW's Carly to a smaller spot on the show long ago, and that that was the only reason they would consider pairing her with a man of color. That's the way daytime treats too many African-American characters when paired with others. Guza seemed to have lost a lot of interest in Carly when LW came aboard. I'm not saying it's how I felt the pairing should've been treated, I'm not saying this is right or fair or decent, but it is how daytime often works, and I am saying it was the show's history not one, not two but three regimes ago. Maya Ward, Justus, the nonexistent teenage sister who never showed, the lovely and talented Cassandra Creech as a dayplayer assassin, you name it - they didn't care. I think the focus shifted for several women between the regimes and that Shawn has just traded one second-tier leading lady for another. Carly has a bigger spotlight now - and as such, another fine black actor falls by the wayside. I think the way all three regimes regarded it is symptomatic of a much bigger issue: They thought it was okay to add a guy like Sean Blakemore in a strictly supporting role, but if his love interest gets big again off he goes. Even though he is, again, easily the finest man in daytime.

Archived