SOS: SAVE AMC THE WAR IS NOT OVER!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I dont really get what was unfinished. Most everyone got a HEA, Erica's ending was appropriate for her character. The JR stuff was left open but really how one thing ruined the finale of the show I don't get. Aside from that Project Clusterfeck nonsense, AMC got IMO a good ending for the most part true to itself. A movie to end it? If ABC did that for AMC, soap fans still wouldn't be satisfied.

• Members

Agreed. I was happy with AMC's ending. It was (partially) written by Agnes Nixon for goodness sake. My only regret is that I wish that they'd had more time to wrap things up but not every show gets to be ER. One benefit to the state AMC was in when it ended is that there hasn't been anyone peddling false hope or screwing with the fans heads. The show ended and almost everybody moved on. I love a good fan campaign but that's not what SOS is. It's delusion and denial and it's just sad.

• Members

I hated that too but in the end what I remember is the heartfelt way the show ended. I remember the family photos and Erica visiting Hollywood and Angie getting her sight back. Leo coming back to make Greenlee tolerable. I even loved those dopey scenes between Maria and Sarah Michelle Gellar. No matter how farfetched, I remember the absolute JOY I felt seeing Stuart again and as much as Jacob Young may have hated his scenes, he played the hell out of them. I felt like everybody involved was busting their ass to make AMC's final days feel like AMC and they had to do it on an accelerated schedule. All the positive I saw far outweighed the unfortunate mess that was Project Odious.

And that's why I don't want AMCers on GH. I don't want Cartini touching any of those characters in any way. One thing that made me glad when the PP deal fell through was knowing that FV and RC wouldn't get the chance to inflict their OLTL inferiority complex on AMC. That's what they are doing to GH. For better or worse all the soaps that have been canceled in the last few years were finished out by people who loved them and did their best to honor what they were, no matter how imperfectly, even GL. GH isn't going to get that. Barring a freaking miracle GH is done after the anniversary, a writer who really loved would be solely focused on finding little ways to give fans a reminder of what they loved about the show, they way they did with John Ingle but that's not what RC is doing. He's giving GH superficial attention when he's not too busy tweeting some of his former co-workers how an off-screen OLTL character saved Port Charles. He doesn't care about the show. Hell, my only experience with GH is in a few clips over the years but even I believe this show which has lasted 50 years deserves to end its days as more than a host for parasites and a twisted form of vindication for a writer and EP who felt like their show was the ugly stepchild.

It's also why - rights or no rights - I'm perfectly happy to leave AMC in the past away from the clutches of people who just don't care.

• Members

I KNOW! When I watch the part when we saw all of the Martin's while Angie is talking about David bringing everyone back from the dead I get the same feeling I get when I watch the original Stepford Wives!! CREEPY!!

If I remember correctly, Zack was supposed to come back anyway. If I was writing it I would have only brought Stuart back. Instead of writing a story to try reverse the death of Dixie I would have made Tad and Hillary reconnect. I think reconnecting Tad and Hilliary would have used up the same amount time. I think it would have been cool to have Tad propose to Hillary in the park with the help of Damon and Jamie. I still would have had the Erica in Oak Haven stuff but without the Dixie part.

Also, I wish that if the show never ended they should have introduced Opal's long lost cousin played by Dorothy Lyman. I would have loved to see both actresses working together.

• Members

BOW

I feel the same way

They own the rights to the characters for now and GH/ABC pais for John, Todd, Starr etc and any mention of it. Kind of funny if you think about it. ABC sold PP the rights and then GH has to pay for uses.

They did license the rights, and PP paid for that and in the same way GH pays for use of OLTL characters. Allegedly anyways. I can believe it tho, its really not that far fetched.

• Members

I hated AMC's ending, the fans were robbed and it was clear AN couldn't accept the show was done and give us a proper ending, no she wanted to leave it open ended, at least Cartini didn't swallow the PP stuff hook, line and sinker and at least gave OLTL a proper finale

It was, it was confirmed

believe it or don't, but that is exactly what they're doing.

• Members

not the same situation. AMC wasnt set to appear on PP till months after the finale. OLTL was supposed to go on the next week. The transition for OLTL was set to be much smoother as a result, whereas AMC's was done in part to reflect who they could and couldnt negotiate contracts with in the months leading up to the return.

As for finales, AMC had a more complete resolution than OLTL did. OLTL ended on a much bigger cliffhanger and its only bc RC was given GH that he's been able to continue forward with his plots, which still havent been completely resolved.

• Members

Ah, okay. If that's what it is, then ABC is stupid to spend eight months' worth of money on OLTL characters.

*applause*

The only major cliffhanger in the AMC finale was the shooting. What were fans robbed of? Nearly every single character besides JR got a definite happy ending, and in the case of Erica, we who know her well know that the ending she got, even if it wasn't the one she wanted, was perfect for her spoiled, self-centered ass. Agnes couldn't accept that the show was "over" because she, like the rest of us, was still under the impression that it would be moving on with PP.

I can't deal with people throwing Agnes under the bus for the likes of Franklin and Ronald.

• Members

Neither can I.

Listen, we might not have been entirely satisfied with how AMC or OLTL concluded, but consider how GUIDING LIGHT left us. Seventy-two years, and it all ends in a [!@#$%^&*] pickup truck. Ergo, y'all have no right to complain.

Archived