SOS: SAVE AMC THE WAR IS NOT OVER!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OK wait a minute. ABC licensed the rights to AMC and OLTL to Prospect Park, right? I know nothing of law -- if I'm wrong on this, please correct me -- but if they licensed the rights, that doesn't mean they lose control of the properties, right? I mean, if that's the case, there'd be no way in hell the OLTL invasion could have taken place on GH. I don't believe PP is the reason why Kassie won't join GH.

• Members

Angel, Private Practice, Frasier and Empty Nest are/were spinoffs (Buffy, Grey's, Cheers and Golden Girls respectively) then you've got the franchise shows like CSI, Star Trek and L&O although those are more about the formula than characters but the characters occasionally cross between shows and Richard Belzer plays the same character on SVU that he did on Homicide. Then there's the 70s where half the shows were spinoffs of either All in the Family or Happy Days I'm not saying there needs to be a spinoff of AMC because I would rather lean towards something original too but to say spinoffs never work isn't exactly true. They just need to be of the right character and written well.

• Members

What movie is that amusing Tommy Lee Jones picture from?

This will probably not happen, but I think that ABC should have a two hour prime-time AMC movie to rectify that hideous finale. OLTL fans were also robbed of closure. (Just remove all of the OLTL characters on GH, and have another two hour prime-time finale for OLTL.)

• Members

I really don't know why this couldn't happen (and I am not one to give into pie-in-the-sky thinking). Networks have done this for primetime shows years after they went off the air, and of course all of their set pieces were long destroyed.

ABC's original plan was to give AMC a two hour daytime finale, but it did not happen only because so many were convinced that it would continue online.

• Members

I don't remember reading that the two-hour finale was scrapped because of PP. I really don't see how one thing has to do with the other, to be honest.

And again, when you look at the bigger picture here, it's not hard to conclude that ABC would never consider wrapping up the loose ends of two soaps via primetime special. Soaps are not allowed to leave the daytime ghetto on broadcast networks. It's just a fact of life that has to be accepted. They will live and die in the late morning or early afternoon, never to see the glory of nighttime ever again.

• Members

The bottom line, for me, is that All My Children kinda stopped being my All My Children by the time McTavish finished her reign of terror. I had become so disheartened with the show and how much I hated a lot of characters by the time she was finished, I had become quite detached. So, as much as I miss the show, I actually miss what the show used to be more than I miss the actual show. I doubt that will ever be restored even if this fairy tale was true, so I'm good on this. AMC: RIP 1970-2011 and let it go!

Archived