Y&R: actress fired????

• Members

Exactly. Jess was written off the show with a non-exit, off contract and disrespected by MAB who didn't give a flying damn about her character. JFP has, at the very least, shown Jess Walton a basic level of respect that she deserved as a 25 year tenured, 2 time Emmy winning actress.

Exactly. Genie Francis has been an EPIC failure and her firing is very welcome by me. Keep at it JFP!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't believe it would be magic. I'm sure JW moved with the intention of never returning. Many thought MAB would never be fired. The cost and time to commute probably means they can't get JW on the cheap.. If Sony pays her & somehow she can have a nice vacation place in sunny California when the rains hit up north, maybe she will return.

I don't think JFP's like MAB, if someone's on the payroll I'll bet she's going to get her money's worth. IMO getting JW back will the show us whether JFP is really going to try save this show, or is simply going to replace Friends of MAB for Friends of Jill. If she goes to bat for getting a long-time vet back that will speak volumes.

And MAB didn't give a flying damn about the viewers either. Many of us have followed the character of Jill for decades some from the very start. How dare MAB make Y&R her own personal playground.

If they can't get JW back for the long haul I hope they respect their long-time viewers enough to bring her back to a nice looooooong story with all the Genoa City characters to give Jill Foster Abbott a proper exit.

Jeanne Cooper has been reduced to making vague comments about her son's life as he dashes through restaurants on his way to screw his next female. The Katherine Chancellor I knew and loved disappeared when Tucker was re-cast. I love JC & Katherine but she's no fun without Jill.

LOL , I think most of that is being done by very noisy hard core/fan club type fans of the newcomers because they didn't seem to care one bit about MTS or JW not being around, which would be unusual if you've followed the show for a long period of time.

• Members

I disagree. JFP is a lot of things but dumb ain't one of em. She knows that the vets are the bread & butter of Y&R and the reason the show remains #1 in the ratings. It's not the Y&R vets that should be scared, but vets from other soaps like Stephen Nichols, Debbi Morgan, Jeff Branson, Jennifer Landon, Darnell Williams, etc... that should be worried.

I sincerely doubt this was all JFP's doing. I believe it when they say the CBS & Sony brass weren't happy with Genie. Hell, neither was the audience- Y&R's and Genie's!

It's better than the disrespect and indifference she was shown by MAB.

Exactly.

All kinds of wrong. First of all, the only way Jess is coming back is to play a storyline, plain & simple. It's clear she's no longer in it for the paycheck so why on Earth would she return full-time as window dressing?

If this were a different industry, I'd agree that it sucks to get fired by the same person twice. But daytime is cyclical and this right here is why you can't burn your bridges (I'm not saying Genie burned any, just making a statement). The firings are apples and oranges IMO.

I fully expect that Jess will be back actually, Call me crazy but I don't think we've seen the end of Jill by a long shot.

Me either. She is beyond overrated and I think the L&L magic was more luck & good writing than anything else. That and they looked like everyday people, which made their romance more accesible.

Exactly. The only other soap I liked her on was DAYS and Diana wasn't exactly the polar opposite of Laura.

The JFP love-fest continues for me. I get more & more eager for her episodes to start airing with each passing minute. I've wondered for a LONG time what JFP could do with Y&R, ever since LML's tenure starting going downhill. At this point, I think she's gonna be a good fit.

How AWESOME would it be if JFP was the last EP of the last soap standing? The soaps start with Irna and end with Jill. I love it.

Kind of off topic, but I was watching the 1989 Daytime Emmys last night and it was funny that JFP's acceptance speech then was almost identical to the speeches that she gives now, right down to "An hour of dramatic television 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year" line.

• Members

So much word to this! I've only watched Y&R since 1993, when SB went off the air, and Jess Walton's Jill was pretty much what hooked me. I swore I'd leave when she did (I did) but I've always given JFP shows a chance and she mostly hasn't disappointed.

Call me crazy, but I have a hunch that JFP sees Jess Walton's value and wants the chance to capitalize on it. I'm DYING to see what JFP can do with Jill Foster Abbott and I can only hope that Jess feels the same way.

• Members

Ironically, GF hated her DAYS stint -- ill-defined character, messy backstage politics, you know the drill -- yet I think I tolerated Diana Colville more than I have Laura. Of course, her chemistry with Drake Hogestyn probably had a lot to do with that, lol.

• Members

Actually, I think Ceara Connor (on ALL MY CHILDREN) started out with a ton of promise. I don't know whether GF herself could have kept up the vixen act for too long. However, OTOH, she wasn't too terrible in the part; she seemed like a good fit with the rest of the AMC cast; and the role had "teeth," if you know what I mean.

Then, for whatever reason, Agnes Nixon saddled her with the incest story, and it all just went to hell.

• Members

I honestly believe Genie has a lot more fire in her than people give her credit for. I liked Diana on DAYS. And I thought she played Laura's descent into madness on GH brilliantly. I think she can play a bitch, or at least a stronger, tougher woman. But I think the writing at Y&R tanked her, and she is often dependent on good material. She has limitations, and she can go OTT. But do I think she deserves to be able to get what she asked for from GH - a stronger, tougher Laura with some bite? Yes. Definitely. Genevieve was simply a caricature. But I'd let Laura be tougher and yes, a bit meaner.

• Members

This whole promo campaign was sad, desperate, and pathetic on both Y&R and Genie's part, it definitely symbolized all of the Maria Arena Bell era's WORST attributes:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MLcLYFjDsl0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZCguhau6v5M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4qs1Lh3nCL0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dag2cpJjWRY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Members

Genevieve now joins the list of non Laura characters that Genie has played and have lasted short term, or better yet failed. Diana (DAYS)and Ceara (AMC)

Oooo I wonder what gruesome murder mystery awaits us, you just know its gonna happen with JFP and what better character to do it with than this one.

• Members

I liked Genie as Genevieve. *ducks*

But I'm willing to take one for the team if my Jill Foster Chancellor Abbott is coming back on board with some kick-ass wardrobe and a great blow-out. Seriously. I hope Ms. Jess Walton is growing her hair out in Oregon because the Jill hair needs to come back. And the Jill nails, the Jill earrings, the Jill high heels. The Jill stomp and the Jess purrrrrr.

Debbi and Darnell need to be snapped up by GH as Dr. Angie and Jesse Hubbard. STAT.

Archived