Y&R: actress fired????

• Members

As I've said before, Genie Francis needs to accept she was, is, and always will be one Laura Vining Webber Baldwin Spencer of Port Charles, NY. And really, ladies and gentlemen, is there anything wrong with being Laura Vining Webber Baldwin Spencer in the eyes of soap fans?

There's no denying how much of an impact Luke & Laura made upon audiences, even those who otherwise hated and despised the very art of soap opera. There's also no denying how doggedly certain parties have worked in the decades since then not just to distance themselves from the phenomenon, but trash it completely and shame the public for "believing the lie." Yet, no matter what GH and a certain, overrated "actor" of questionable sexuality and even more questionable hair choices have done in the name of "telling the truth," one fact remains: people, and especially those who still watch and remember GH, love Laura. Luke could vanish today, and really, very few, if anyone, would give a damn. But GF and Laura have been gone for close to a decade, and that's left a hole on GH's canvas that can never be filled otherwise.

If I could chat one-on-one with Ms. Frakes, I'd tell her: "Look, I understand feeling trapped as Laura Spencer and needing to prove to the world (and to yourself) that you could do so much more. But, baby-girl, do you realize how much America took you to heart as their surrogate daughter, sister, and best friend? Grandmothers even prayed over you in church, girl! Not everybody gets that kind of love, Ms. Genie, and certainly not actors. Instead of acting like you ashamed that all you're known for is Laura, you should be proud that God gave you the talent to imbue this one character with so much heart and soul, and that He allowed you to touch so many with that spirit."

Then, I'd give her a big hug and say, "That's alright, baby, Jesus and Gram still love you," and invite her inside for some homemade stew and sweet tea.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't get the impression that she's ashamed, she just 1.) wants to do something different and 2.) hates what she know that character will be. She said flat out when she was on Oprah that she has no interest in playing wounded doves anymore. I can't blame her for that and I sure don't blame her for not wanting to play the same character she played 30, 20, 10 years ago especially when that character won't get a fraction of the writing. None of that even touches on the BTS bullshit she'd have to deal with. It's not like the genre as become friendlier to women over 40, in fact its a deeper cesspool of misogyny and ageism than it ever was.

I understand her wanting to do something more but I don think she will be able to do it on a soap for all the reasons you mention. Right now, she'd be better off sticking to cable and maybe trying theatre. But she should never stop trying just because soap fans are in a time warp. GH will be gone soon enough anyway and Laura Spencer will cease to be an issue.

• Members

Yeah I mean there was a casting call out for months that sounded like a carbon copy of her character, her screentime got reduced, and there were lots of fan complaints about her looking two young for romances with old men yet she acted surprised when she got fired. And then she bitched that Jill didn't tell her soon enough for her liking and the flowers she sent her did not make up for the so called lack of professionalism(because she is apparently the only teen actress in the history of soaps to be fired for looking to young)

Archived