Y&R: MAB OUT! Hamner OUT! JFP IN! Griffith IN! Sheffer UNKNOWN!

• Members

The biggest mistake new soap producers and head writers make is coming in and immediately making huge changes, especially cast cuts. Doug Marland spoke and wrote at length about this, how a new head writer should really get to know the show and characters before making cuts. Some characters that appear "played out" aren't at all. They're just waiting for a talented head writer to create a riveting story for them. That's why I find suggestions of cutting characters right off the bat, or labeling certain characters "played out" as very disconcerting. Every soap cast can be trimmed, I suppose, but to say Jeanne Cooper can't still carry a major storyline is absurd. To even think of writing off Paul is to write off a huge part of Y&R's history, not to mention a stellar actor in Doug Davidson. JFP don't wait long to put her stamp on a show. She would be wise this time not to move so quickly that she destroys the Y&R so many fans still love and remember, and causing the ratings to plunge even further.

Agreed. Marla Adams was/is untouchable in the role. Replacing her now would be a huge mistake.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love Doug Davidson but I'd be okay with him going recurring as long as he's still used.

PLEASE backburner Cooper. Her acting has sucked for years.

Hendrickson can go but I'll always have a soft spot for Rikaart. I'd like Kevin to stay in some capacity even if it's just baristing at Crimson Lights.

FWIW, Chapman was featured heavily the last time Griffith was HW. I'd like her to stay on as the comic relief.

• Members

Jeanne Cooper's appearance reminds me of the way Mary Stuart (Meta) looked during her final days in 2002. She had been offscreen for awhile due to health issues, and came back much skinner, frail, and a tiny bit hunched over. I hope Cooper is here for years & years to come :) her spirit is still so vibrant.

• Members

Paul's story basically amounts to him being a terrible father. I've seen nothing but fan disgust at Paul with this story. Sheffer loathes men like Paul.

Bergman has zero chemistry with most of the women they pair him with, he's become much too soft, and Jack's place on the canvas has been erased.

Archived