RUMOR: Changes Tomlin made to Days

• Members

At one time Marlena was a new character. The Brady's. Maggie, Victor, Stefano, Abe and Lexie were all new characters. Days fans will accept new characters if the story is well written, even when they're jammed down our throats. If the internet was around back then, you probably would have heard fans upset that Marlena was taking story away from Laura Horton or The Brady Family and their stupid fish market was eating the show or that Doug and Julie were being sacrificed to prop up Bo and Hope.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So true.

But I do think that soap fans of the past 15 are more reluctant to embrace a swarm of brand new characters and long for the nostalgic heyday of their shows. I know I do. Fans stuck around in the 80's when DAYS drastically changed their focus, as did fans of other soaps that overturned their cast (GL, for starters). But nowadays, there's such outcry if the Santis overtake OLTL, the Santoses overtake GL, the Saved by the Belle Tropical Teentation overtakes DAYS. Maybe it's just all so poorly written and the new characters are ill-defined.

Would be interesting if the internet had been around back when all the 70's mainstays of Days were phased out for the Bradys, DiMeras, Bo & Hope mania, etc.

• Members

Exactly. People come and go on soaps all the time; and for the most part, viewers learn always to adjust. Except when it's clear the new characters have no "life" to them and/or the actors portraying them are dull.

• Members

Also I think because Tomlin&Co will fix the mistakes that actors see they made. Joe Mascolo says in this interview that he and James were unhappy with the paternity story, how Stefano was acting and that they took away EJ as Stefano's son. So if these rumors are true, Joe and James will get that fixed.

I want it fixed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

So I was just on Dustin's Days Page, and under the comings and goings it lists Joe Mascolo as leaving DAYS (posted on 6/18). It makes it seem as though he is officially exiting the show. I hadn't seen that on this page and I'm wondering if anyone can confirm/deny? Joe Mascolo is one of my favorites, I will be disappointed if that was really the way Stefano's story ends. I was under the impression from this topic that he faked his death and was returning. I was also really hoping they fixed the EJ paternity storyline.

• Members

His departure was just posted on their site last week (6/18) along with Kristian signing a new contract and Muldoon's last airdate. That's why it has me worried because it came after the rumors that he would be back.

Archived