RUMOR: Changes Tomlin made to Days

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Doesn't speak highly of Tomlin if he wanted to make the last year a dream. If any soap would need that it's General Hospital or Y&R which have had so many destructive things happen in recent years. MarDar hardly did anything, most of which is easy to change. Why go through all the trouble and scrutiny of a dream? The only characters I could see benefitting are those who had poor returns (Carrie, Austin, Jack), but they're all leaving. A lot of what has been set up is decent, just needs to be developed by better writers.

1. Explore the chemistry between Billie and EJ, plus use her more since Lisa Rinna is doing good work.

2. Will is gay, take that and USE it. Use the relationship between Marlena & Will and Marlena & Sami and Will & Lucas and Lucas & Sami.

3. Ian is stuck in a dud story with Madison, but has chemistry with Kate so try and retool him and get him where he needs to be to survive.

4. Carrie/Rafe have their fans and of course Carrie/Austin do too, so give them a fresh story that won't trash the characters.

I'm not too confident. I'm reminded how frustrating it is being a DAYS fan.

• Members

I thought most of the stories set up were pointless and horrible (or both) - why did Nicole need to lose all personality and hide out with Rafe? What was the point of Will's screaming about Rafe the ideal father when the characters then had no relationship for months? How many rewrites has Will's story had (he was being blackmailed by EJ, wait, no, they're like father and son; he didn't mean to tell that EJ and Sami had sex; wait, Stefano made him)? Sonny is invisible. John had so many poor stories. The Rafe/Carrie story had awful pacing and made Carrie look heartless and fickle. EJ not being Stefano's son makes no sense for the story. Alice's secrets. Everything with Ian. On and on.

I don't think they need a reboot, but I can see why one was pitched.

• Members

I had hoped MarDar would be able to work their magic, but they turned out to be a complete disaster. Every storyline had no meat or potatoes to it. The only positive would be Marlena & Will's relationship. In fact, Marlena has been the one bright spot under MarDar when she wasn't stuck in storyline hell with John.

Hopefully Tomlin & Whitesell can fix the damage. I didn't mind them when they were in control. You could always tell when Tomlin/Whitesell or Higley was in control of the storylines.

And if the rumors are true and Eileen Davidson returns, I think Tomlin & Whitesell could actually write a decent storyline for Kristen. I couldn't imagine the storyline MarDar would do for Kristen.

• Members

I am going to defend MarDar. When they were first hired many just assumed because they worked with Jim Reilly that they were taking the show back to demon possession and wacky supernatural stories and they were demonized by that association before they even began. They came on and wrote traditional soap opera storylines, now I will be the first to admit that some of their stories weren't that great and a couple were plain awful, but this is the most real that Days of our Lives has been in almost three decades.They told stories for veterans and fan favorites, they told stories about family drama, inter-generational conflict, and they gave some characters who had been floundering a purpose.

Granted, MarDar don't have the campy 80s cliche styled writing of Ron Carlivarti or the wash, rinse, repeat style of Brad Bell, and while I don't watch Y&R, I've heard what a mess they're in over there. MarDar may not be the best writers Days has ever had, but compared to what the other shows are serving up they did an okay job.

Archived