ABC Renews GH

• Members

I never watched The Revolution so I can't comment on that. What I can say is that GH under Cartini rule is ten times more watchable than it was under Guza rule a year ago.

OLTL in its final year and a half surpassed GH in quality - period. That's a fact. And while there were things that I hated about it (The Losers Ford, Messica, Dorian's early exit, the half-assed diversity), that show, as a whole, was a helluva lot easier to swallow than Guza's neverending legacy-demolishing and mob propping bullsh*t.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It wasn't a mistake to cancel OLTL it was a mistake to not reverse their decision when OLTL ratings started trending upwards. ABC owns it, they could've easily sheleved Revolution and said OLTL would stay until fall 2012. Instead they let a perfectly viable show die, all the while moving forward with a show they knew wasn't ready just to phase ABCD away from soaps. OLTL was under budget so I don't understand how they didn't deserve to stay. They were still turning profit for ABC.

• Members

Backlash?

Aside from the few folks that enjoyed General Mobspital, people will either wonder what took so long for the cancellation to happen or be surprised that it was still on the air.

I hardly think that Armageddon would've occured if ABC announced GH's cancellation today, so I'm not seeing any pity renewals going on here. Denial about the fact that this show needs to die, yes, but pity for it? Nope.

• Members

We will certainly agree to disagree here because although GH had its challenges under Guza and Wolf, it wasn't the 3rd rate reality show wannabe that OL became. I could not watch that crap to save my life. I was not sorry when the show was axed because of the two losers at the helm. Now, if I choose to watch again, I have to deal with a team I did my best to avoid? Not sure why I would have to go thru this because I pay my taxes.

ANDREA

• Members

I think OLTL had a few interesting ideas in its last year, but most of that was ruined by poor execution, and the usual RC pet stories taking over (like how hot and sexy it is for a mentally ill woman to be raped). You also had the continually stalled out, pointless stories like Destiny's pregnancy.

Generally I think RC would be best off writing a modern Soapdish.

• Members

That's not possible to reverse the decision when ABC wants out of the soap business. With the exception of coca cola, if something does not work, you go back to the drawing board and find something else and hope it does. I don't blame ABC for not bringing back OL when they were determined to get out of soaps. This is not unique as there are only 4 soaps left. I can't wait to see what replaces GH next year (and it will happen). The Chew seems to have worked, TR didn't. 1 for 2 is not that bad. From what I hear, the new prez is a non scripted guru, so she is going to be putting in some time and effort to find GH's replacement. IMHO, I'd probably give Nene Leakes a call and toss out ideas about a talk show. She could bring in some ratings.

The time has come for us to let these soaps go. There's not alot left to write. The costs don't justify keeping them, and I'm ok with that.

ANDREA

• Members

Im just happy GH will live on Til at least Sept 2013 and Im sure next year at this time, its fate will be known. However until that day, I will continue to enjoy GH. and thats something I havent said in about 5 years. Thank U Frank & Ron & Cast

• Members

This actually was a legitimate thing for the OLTL fans to be angry about. However, I suspect that it was not possible to "un-cancel" OLTL because of the agreement ABC made with Prospect Park. Thus, the anger should primarily be directed towards Prospect Park.

• Members

This is where I'm torn. I've always said that I want a new soap. Yet, I'm perfectly aware that's impossible in the current environment. I want to see a soap do well so that the genre continues to look viable in some form which is why I was moderately intrigued by the idea of a primetime GH. Something has to force innovation. Regardless Ron Carlivati is not the person to write the next level of soap. He's just the temp that gets to keep the job permanently because it's easier than hiring someone new.

So it's going to be a few more months of "Weekend at Bernie's." In the meantime, these actors better audition their asses off because when the hammer comes down, it's gonna come down hard. They've got a few more paychecks coming. Do something with that.

Archived