ABC Renews GH

• Members

That's very helpful, Errol. Thank you very much.

So GH (or any other show on the ABCD schedule) could be cancelled with ABC only giving enough notice to use up what has already been taped, if that?

Also, those big plans we heard last year to turn a chunk of programming over to the affiliates for syndication was either never true or ABCD changed its mind? It will be interesting to see what the reality-oriented ABCD president will do with the daytime schedule when she gets everything set up the way she wants it. I'm sure that's going to take some time.

I would be surprised if GMA In the Afternoon takes off and I also don't expect Katie Couric to do well. Frankly, I didn't think GH would hang on this long, so nothing ABCD does with regard to GH will be much of a shock. The show itself is an ongoing disappointment, and its production values and writing have suffered as a result of turning GH into OLTL-lite. As long as GH continues to focus on stories and characters who belong in prison, it's not worth saving. As a long-time soap watcher, I hate either saying or thinking that, but it's true.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I understand what errol is saying & he is right but actors at GH are saying they were told they will have another year. I took that to mean GH will be safe til April 2013. Then ABC will decide its fate. Does that mean it will stay on air til Sept 2013., No. It could be gone sooner like June. Id say just watch the show.

• Members

GH will end in either January, June or September. They aren't going to end a show in the middle of the spring. They would want to launch a show during the fall or at mid-season, and if they were giving the time to the affiliates they would wait until the 2012-2013 season ends in May. I personally think it will have until fall 2013, since Deadline seemed sure GH will get to celebrate a 50th anniversary.

• Members

I think the only thing for sure is they will see their 50th anniversary, which is a great thing. Outside of that all bets are off (though I doubt TPTB have routine conversations about programming changes. It seems more of an annual discussion which takes time to plan).

And who knows, the tide might really start to turn on daytime conversation programs. Reality TV has certainly reached it's limits and is now imitating soap operas. Don't you love irony?

• Webmaster

I believe everyone is basing the year thing on Deadline's article where they said the show will air through its 50th Anniversary. Otherwise, as I said before...the show could be canned at any time if the network deems it necessary. There is no rule or contract that says ABC has to air the soap all year next season.

• Members

So given that GMA just pulled off the ratings win over the Today Show-looks like the GMA summer show could be a hit too. So if it pulls in better ratings than GH this summer do you think ABC pulls the plug on GH?

• Members

At this point, GH ratings are not very relevant. ABC just needs something that does not suck as bad as The Revolution. That is all they are looking for. If GMA does better than The Chew, adios GH! ABC is done with soaps, and is there a wonder why every outlet is giving input on this EXCEPT ABC? They have not announced their fall lineup for a reason because, IMHO, they wish to do that w/out GH in that lineup.

ANDREA

Archived