GH: Discussion for the Month of April

• Members

LOL You'd think they could have had him stand in the back yawning or something. I also don't understand why they denied Starr's request to make Anthony a witness--wouldn't that have much more bearing on the case than on some of the other witnesses called? Why am I even asking this...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Other than RC getting to recycle his pet stories I wonder if anyone who is at the show now cares about any little details. You really would think John would be there. I think it just reminds, again, of just how sloppy and lousy this whole story is. I have seen people who love "McBam", and love Anna propping the mouthbreather, but I've seen very little interest in the Starr stuff.

Actually, I have a close relative who is watching GH only for Starr, but that's about it.

• Members

I will not ask about your relative... Acutally I have friends who liked Starr (MUCH more than I did) on OLTL and suddenly are complaining about her awful acting. I don't see a huge difference in that respect, but... It does point out one issue about doing crossovers well--you would think Langston for example would be there for her, but I suppose even a phone call mention would be fairly useless to most GH viewers. The lack of John after they had a scene saying he would be there at the trial, and he showed up to bully Sonny the morning of the trial is just baffling--it's like someone's simply not paying any attention to any details...

• Members

In the last years of the OLTL they seemed to move KA away from too much shrieking and yelling and teeth-baring "anger." Now we are back to that.

In general the acting quality on GH since RC/FV took over has been poor. I guess due to lack of rehearsal time, although I wonder if the terrible dialogue makes it worse. It's a shame seeing people like Finola Hughes just give up entirely.

• Members

Went the way of Claire Coffee (Nadine)! tongue.png

Well, maybe now the city of Memphis will be recognized once again for the truly awesome place that it is smile.png .

While I'll admit that I reverted mostly to YouTube edits once the Mannings were gone/Robin's funeral ended, it's disheartening as someone who grew up watching KA to see Starr so hated. And maybe it's because I've stayed away, but I still think KA can act. I've GOT to give up my sentimentality towards her, I know.

Ready to be stoned in 3, 2...

• Members

What's sad is you don't have to be able to act well on an RC/FV soap but to be honest I think the acting on GH has been lousy for years barring maybe 2 or 3 actors. But I think before FV/RC it was boredom and laziness now its just bad. But I don't think under phelps they were getting multiple takes anymore or rehearsal time either. I just think the direction was probably crisper and has been their saving grace for a long time.

Who are all these peeps hating on KA? She's no diff than she was on OLTL lousy.

• Members

I thought with the other shooting schedule they might have had more time to rehearse, but you may be right.

I think GH's acting has been overrated for a long time, and people like Genie Francis, JJ, Geary, just never did anything for me. However, I have been surprised at just how shockingly bad some of the actors have been lately, and how it still ends up onscreen. Even if the actors may have better moments elsewhere, and the writing is letting them down, it's awful. Kristen Alderson, Jen Lilley, Maurice Benard, Kelli Sullivan, Scott Reeves, among others. Horrible, horrible. It reminds me of just how unbelievably horrific much of OLTL's acting became under RC/FV.

• Members

I think for all JFPs faults she was a good producer in some sense certainly better then Frank and I think she was particularly good at getting performance out of some of the cast that was green. Actors like Lexi Ainsworth, Julie Berman in her first year or 2 were better because I think Jill took these actors under her wing. In Bermans case she just became lazy and bored. In Lexis case she was just never that good.

• Members

When people talk about Frank's strengths, they are limited to saving money. You never hear anything else about the man. That is what most TV is about today, but if someone tunes into GH at a time when it is so close to cancellation, they wouldn't find much reason to start watching. Cheap production and actors left hanging out to dry. FV is giving no reason for GH to stay on the air, beyond cheapness.

• Members

The thing that's odd is he was or is a director and still directs some of the show or he did at OLTL. I just find it odd that the direction since he took over has gone to [!@#$%^&*] but that probably speaks more to the fact that while GH was lousy under phelps, the direction always seemed to be spot on.

I don't think All of tv is about saving money. There is still a lot of quality scripted programming on cable and network tv and even much of the reality stuff like AI, Survivor, the Amazing Race doesn't come across cheap and sloppy looking or directed. That's why I laugh about moving GH to primetime.

• Members

I think JFP is smarter than we give her credit for and I agree with your asessment. Lexi mad some twitter complaints about Jill that she shouldn't have recently that will bite her in the ass. Because Jill has her friends in the industry, just look how quick she got a new job and being on good terms with her really helped some people out career wise.

I think multiple takes stopped sometime between 2008-2009.

Archived