"Columnist" Michael Musto Craps On Daytime Drama

• Members

Your ignorance is so pathetic. I take it you don't follow the NFL, because based on my own experiences following the game, women are as rabid fans as men are. Granted, soaps were at one time assumed to be strictly a women's medium, but I wonder where all those men came from who comprised roughly 30% of "All My Children"'s audience at one point in its life. Also, where did all those men come from who were creating fan clubs for the serials, and various actors and actresses involved with them? And as for your "women as second class" meme, I don't see "their" entertainment (whatever that's supposed to mean...OWN....Oxygen....Women's Entertainment) going down the black hole of "second class" oblivion. Double standards according to the sisterhood are over.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Honestly, Musto is saying the god's honest truth. If the Daytime heads were smart, they would take it as a bit of constructive criticism. But they won't. And they will continue to blame us, the core audience, for not watching the swill they dish out.

• Members

Some women may be rabid NFL fans, just as some men are rabid soap fans -- not that most men will tell you they are, mainly because soaps are still seen as "women's entertainment" and subject to ridicule and derision. My point was: when soaps were first on radio and transitioned to TV, most women were still housewives, and soaps were "their entertainment." Again, because women weren't seen as equal to their male counterparts, neither was their entertainment. Some of that stigma has disappeared, as women have gained greater standing and equality, but it's still there. If you don't think there are double standards out there, you're not paying attention. (Also, could we debate the issue without acerbic jabs like "your ignorance is so pathetic"?? Surely you can counter my argument without trying to put me down for simply expressing an opinion/observation.)

Archived