DAYS: Will & Sonny Spoiler Thread

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Because they are completely unrealistic.... It's pandering to soaps' older audiences - by having a grandmother give the blessing (and that she is so cool about it), it might be less of a turn-off to the shows' core viewers. It would be better if the parents or say an aunt/uncle who is in their late 30s/early 40s were the one, because they've grown up in a time of more openness and acceptance.

• Members

I don't think it is unrealistic to Marlena who a psychiatrist. People like that tend to have more of an open mind about these kind of things. If we pretend Marlena is a real person I am sure she has had many of patients especially in the 70's come to her about repressed homosexual feelings. It is realistic to me, I could see maybe Caroline having a problem with it and I am sure Sami will wonder where did she go wrong to have her son turn gay.

• Members

Yes, I could definitely see Caroline having a problem, rosary beads and all. It's completely realistic for psychiatrist Marlena to be more understanding. And yes, old age doesn't necessarily equal homophobia. My grandma, who would be 99 this year if she were still alive, would encourage me to dress up and put on her clip-on earrings. I think she knew before I did...

• Members

I agree. I think ATWT missed an opportunity with Emma when Luke came out. She would have been perfect for a story about a grandmother who truly loves her grandchild, yet struggles with him being gay.

From what I understand ATWT originally wanted to have Lucinda be the one who had a problem with Luke being gay, but Liz Hubbard refused to play that. She didn't think it fit the character.

• Members

Will/Sonny Stuff For Monday 2/27/12

Sonny trying to find Will, worried

Sami accuses Mar, who says she said nothing to anyone. Will too. Sami still mad at Mar though lol

Sonny has left Will a voice mail, he is there if he needs to talk ... Will still at condo

Will defends Mar to unreasonable Sami, then leaves cos he hates being around his mom

Sonny finds Will. Will says he told Mar about gay kiss, she was not surprised, then Sami interrupted with rant

Sonny learns about Sami accusing Mar of telling Rafe about Ejami sex. Will sad, says he has no family anymore cos of mess

Mar wants Sami to talk to Will cos he needs her, but does not say more

Sonny thinks it is good Will came out to Mar, but Will thinks saying he kissed a guy was not that ...

Marlena wants Sami to be a parent for Will for once!

Sami asks if Will is alright, gets worried. Mar says he needs her NOW

Will cries to Sonny he is scared of his feelings. Sonny is there for him

Will tells Sonny he is not ready cos he fears losing his family. S does not think he will

Sonny asks Will if he is ready to accept his truth?

Will still worried, Sonny gives him pep talk

• Members

I didn't say that. One thing that was interesting in the 1990s on ATWT - when Duncan and Jessica got married - even though Lisa loved both of them very much, she expressed reservations because of prejudice. She admitted, she was speaking for her generation. I was surprised by that, but my mother who is Eileen Fulton's age and also grew up in the South, totally got it. It was a perspective based on life experiences - time were different back then. Just like things are different now in terms of gay acceptance. If you look at demographics for gay married support over general population, there is a big difference in under 40 (being supportive) and over 50 (not so much). Ppl in 40s are a mixed bag. I agree with the thoughts on Caroline. Just because a character is uncomfortable or concerned that someone is gay, does not make that character bad. It would lend another voice and texture to the story. I really hope this story is successful - I just don't have much faith in the DAYS writers.

Archived