Actors Who Disrespect Daytime TV

• Members

That's just it. Who are these long lins of actors who rip on daytime. there have been a few sure but i think most when asked have been very respectful. I don't see why not rhapsodizing about it is a terrible thing. And exactly what did Morgan Freeman say that is different than most of the industry.He didn't dish actors or his own experiences.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But here's my question: why is it okay to trash TJ Hooker or Lauren Holly's Lifetime movies but soaps are somehow this sacred thing that people should describe with hearts and flowers? What if Lauren Holly described her Lifetime movies as crap would anybody here blame her. Actors have some work they're proud of and other gigs that were just a job. They shouldn't have to pretend 3-4 years on some soap was the pinnacle of their career just because some soap fans get all precious about it. I'm reminded of a joke by Chris Rock that seems applicable for these actors, "[soaps] are like the rich uncle that paid for your college...but molested you."

• Members

I don't think it's as much about not being the pinnacle of their career as it is something they seem actively ashamed of. If your career's biggest highlights are I Know You Saw Jennifer Love Hewitt's Cleavage, or Nora Ephron Romantic Comedy #2434, it's not exactly Shakespeare.

• Members

Robin Wright pisses me. She says Santa Barbara was like an prison and was made she had to extend her contract in order to do Princess Bride. Then recently Chelsea Handler who was a huge SB fan had her on & said You know Rob Reiner who directed you in PB saw u on SB cause he was a fan and thats why he cast you. RW says I wish he hadnt watched it

Really Robin if he hadnt watched SB u wouldnt have done PB

• Members

This is silly. When I worked retail I bashed my previous grocery jobs. When I worked at a gym I felt doing retail and grocery were beneath me. In college when I got a crappy role in a show, it was known that I thought it was crap. People have egos. Working in a certain industry doesn't mean you to have to like it or respect it so a few fans don't cry.

• Members

I don't think it's about fans crying - I mostly think it's about someone not seeming foolish for putting on airs, especially if most of their careers have been crap.

People like George Pilgrim didn't even have fans to cry about - they just made themselves look silly.

• Members

If an actor was in soaps and says they sucked, well it depends on how they say it. If they waffle about it, I get annoyed with them. If they say it was something I did, but it is in the past let's move on no problem.

• Members

It really is a matter of opinion, some actors just see past soap work very negatively, sometimes because of ego and other times just because they didn't get much out of it. It really does depend on how much they learned and how much it actually furthered their craft, those are the only reasons any actor has to look back positively about a past role.

Some actors just buy into their own hype after they move on to bigger things and don't want a connection to the genre because it has been so mocked by the mainstream.

• Members

What does Further their craft mean. Some assume that means moving on to Primetime & Film. While others just want to be a working actor. Their are tons of former soap actors who continue to work but never made it huge in film & TV that still love their soap days

• Members

By furthered, I meant how much it improved their acting ability and taught them lessons about the industry. I notice most of the ones who actually reflect positively on their soap days are ones who seem to have gotten good experience from it.

• Members

There is an emmy roundtable from 2011 where everyone there speaks to this and the disconnect still between TV and Film . They talk about how its more about the role and not the medium. Bryan Cranston Himself A LOVING & OLTL Vet spoke that when Malcom in the middle Hit reporters told him u finally made it and he was like ive been working since the 80's and Ive been happy doing what Ive always been doing

Okay I follow you there. Yeah or just loved the people they worked with as well, Ive noticed

Archived