Did AMC, ATWT, GL or OLTL have the better SERIES FINALE?

• Members

How would you rate each of the series finales of these soaps:

GL: The most sappy ending. The show was a dying dog in the end. It didn't have much left in it. Reva/Josh got back together in the end but IMO it fell flat to me on alot of levels. I gave it a C

ATWT: The most BORING finale. It was like a regular episode in Oakdale and Lisa was MIA through the episode. It honestly just felt really dull. It was like happy endings but nothing really spectacular. I give it a C

AMC: A great cliffhanger but it was very open ended. It was very Dallas the way they did it. I would have liked more closure on some ends. Also the guest stint of the episode that included SMG fell flat and Eva LaRue. Overall it was a very good series finale. It ended with a bang. I give it a B

OLTL: OMG where do I start. It was like a two part finale episode. The ending of Fraternity Row had me bawling my eyes out with Agnes Nixon and Viki's monologue. Loved all the tears and crying. The series finale today was genius in Allison Perkins giving her manuscript on OLTL. Loved Destiny/Matthew naming the baby Drew, I loved the scenes with Viki/Clint and Jessica finding out she was a Buchanan. It had alot more closure then I thought it would be. I loved also they managed to make us want to tune into tommorow and what great to end OLTL by juxtapositioning Todd getting arrested for Victor's murder and Victor being alive. Bravo Ron Carlivati for one of the best finales yet. God why is OLTL gone? I am just so angry. Its get an A.

How would you grade each SERIES Finale and what was the best and worst?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

AMC had the best final episode without a doubt. OLTL is a close second. AMC was solid from beginning to end and I felt all the scenes were interesting. Not so much with OLTL. I kinda felt the finale wasnt too consistent with the week leading up to it whereas AMC brought everything together. Loved the Buchanan stuff at Llanfair but found the focus on more mnor characters at Buch mansion just not that interesting. So much build up with the Todd story but we didnt even get a showdown between he and Tomas. The OLTL cliffhanger however hit me more than the AMC. Overall AMC was the better one as I loved how nearly the entire cast was used. Everyone got a solid resolution except JR and it worked.

• Members

I think some scenes work better in a moment than they do in a continuing soap. For instance, after years of seeing Jessica infantilized beyond belief and seeing that her "good" father essentially became a monster (which even he would probably admit), I just can't work up a happy ending because this screwed up person now has a screwed up person as a biological father. It doesn't help that history rewrites claim Jessica was molested due to Clint and Viki being lousy parents, so, again, there isn't a lot of happiness in that. It just felt cheap to me. It's bad fanfic.

But I do like some of the closure for other characters. I haven't watched all of it yet but I liked what I got to see.

I thought GL had a nice finale - I liked that we got quick little goodbyes to people like Alex, and the fun if way way too brief return of Mindy and reunion with Rick. I thought GL got the emotions which I didn't see with ATWT and haven't felt as often as many others have with OLTL (although Viki's speech was incredible).

AMC - I thought just about everyone got closure.

• Members

exactly. You could ignore the shot and everything else was still resolved with no major dangling plots. You cant ignore the end of OLTL and do the same bc there ws too much left unresolved and the end was a springboard for so much more. OLTL's final episodes calls for followup. I dont think AMC's really does that. You can draw your own conclusions and it doesnt really compromise what the writers put forward with that final week

• Members

I think AMC and OLTL are pretty evenly matched, though I'll say AMC's finale and the days/weeks leading up to it were more warmly and elegantly executed. OLTL had a more satisfying, if not a little trite, ending for its main heroine while leaving Erica dangle on the vine over Jack of all people is not exactly te ending I wanted either, Erica.

I'm taking pp-mandated endings into consideration as well, so I'm giving AMC the benefit of the doubt.

I was not a fan of the show, but I thought ATWT's finale was so sleepy and did not in any way tip its hat to the utterly iconic show it was. GL's finale was better, though my issues with that show had more to do with Wheeler's hand holdng bumblefuck Starbucks music view of Springfield.

• Members

Thank you well said.

I think Agnes actually overall captured what she said she wanted to a launching pad for AMC (putting PP aside) if someone wanted to pick up where the show left off without having to change or compromise anything that was executed, yet gave the show a satisfying closure had that not happened. Thats where IMO OLTL failed to an extent. In that way I felt AMC was better.I cant understand honestly the criticisms of AMC's ending from critics at all. But thats me. As for back from the deads, Stuarts was 1000 percent more satisfying for me because it corrected a huge error made by previous showrunners. Victors return on OLTL was designed to play into more of a cliffhanger vs bringing back someone that was crucial to the heart and core of the canvas

OLTL had some nice moments and the last 2 weeks action packed, and Vikis speech was amazing. but too much was left open for me.

GL and ATwT IMO are not even in the same league,

• Members

Here's how I would rank them:

#1: ATWT (I seem to be the only one who likes it.)

#2: OLTL

#3: GL

#4: AMC (The mysterious gunshot at the end ruined everything.)

Thankfully, fans of all of the above soaps were fortunate enough not to have a gorilla in their finales.

• Members

I have more of an emotional and life-long connection to GL and ATWT, but AMC and OLTL had a much more satisfying end than the PGP soaps did.

Mind you, I didn't find any of these finales fault-less and much could have been done better, but AMC seemed to have some respect for its identity, while OLTL fought hard to survive.

Archived