OLTL-Monday, January 9, 2012

• Members

AW going off the air was by far the worst soap death for me of all-time since I had watched the show my entire life. I even say I listened to it while in the womb as my mom watched, so that was like a death to me when it ended. But not just A death, several (vicky, jake, rachel, felicia, cass, etc,) "friends" that had suddenly gone away.

I gravitated to OL while AW was ending because at the time the show had several AW actors on it and it was my way of easing the pain. I quickly became hooked (around the time Dorian hit Jessica causing her to lose the baby and Lindsay was getting blamed for it). I've watched ever since. This soap death is going to be extremely tough on me this week as well, as I've come to LOVE these characters. This time though, I will be 'soap-free' after Friday. I will not be moving to a different town and becoming 'friends' with other people. This time, it will be the end. That truly saddens me.

I will always have Bay City.

I will always have Llanview.

I will go back and 'visit' often (thanks to youtube and other sites).

But...I won't be moving on. sad.png

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think when Ron is good, he can be very good. To name a most recent example, he singlehandedly saved the ridiculous "Heart of a Lord" storyline from 2003 for me last summer when he tied the Two Todds saga back to Victor's ring and his taunting Todd about wanting to name him "Victor Jr." during that story - it had no point when Malone wrote it and it first aired other than to needlessly resurrect Victor Sr. (which has since been cast in doubt), but Ron doing what he did allowed for there to be some thematic and story resonance years afterwards. The ring "Victor" forced on Todd, which Todd grew fixated on at the time, did have a purpose, and "Victor Jr." did exist.

When he [!@#$%^&*] up, though, it's pretty hardcore. Case in point, [!@#$%^&*] Ford. I would love to tell him to his face that he is full of [!@#$%^&*] about this guy.

• Members

I definitely agree. There has been an awful lot of RC's OLTL I've really enjoyed--but it also seems like when he's having a bad moment, the whole show suddenly sufferes and we get a month of WTF random stories or something.

Did they ever reveal what was on that ring anyway? Some mysterious info Irene needed I know, but...

• Members

I thought everyone was lovely. I was a huge fan of Bo/Gabrielle in their day, actually, and I thought it a real shame Michael Malone never got to play out the frontburner quad of Max/Gabrielle/Bo/Nora he allegedly wanted in 2003. Say what we will about RC - and I can say a lot if we get going about fuckin' Ford again - but he did Bo and Nora, finally, he was the only one who did, and he did it right IMO, for the most part. I wish Gabby was alive, I wish she had seen Max and Tina, but I did like today. I liked seeing everyone.

I'm still pretty distracted by Van Hughes's chest, frankly. That's the most cruel part of this cancellation, that we won't get to see him shirtless on a regular basis. And he's a solid actor. I would have liked to see much more of this Cole.

• Members

Eddie had to carry Ford out because FV loves playing up the homo-erotic subtext of the Ford family relations. Let's face it, John Wesley Shipp has a weird sexual vibe with the David Gregory and Nic Robuck. You never know if he is going to hit them, or rough them up before a tumble in the hay.

Did anyone else find it insulting that all three angels came to the realization that their one shared bond was Max, but James DePaiva was not offered any cameo before the final appearance? He was still as handsome as ever at Asa's funeral a few years ago. I though that return was an indication that the bad blood between OLTL and James was now just water under the bridge.

• Members

A little bit, yes. But I don't think he would have been asked back a few years ago if the blood were THAT bad, either. JDP said in an SOD interview with Kassie a few months ago that he would have gladly come back if he had been asked, and TPTB said there wasn't enough time to bring him back. There were characters who could have been wrapped up earlier to make room for him (even newer ones I actually liked). He could've been brought back.

I am sad that Gabrielle won't try to seduce him into Heaven, though laugh.png .

BTW: Who's starting the thread for today?

• Members

It definitely offended me. But the idiot writers seem to think the only purpose for returning characters is to pimp current storylines and since Max would probably want Blair back, there's not really any room for him. They're trying to give TnB their due and Tomas is still floating around out there, too.

Archived