AMC and OLTL Canceled! Part 2!

• Members

I disagree. I believe it was very reasonable for fans to believe the online versions would happen as its not everyday a production company will come along and sign a ten year contract with ABC for these shows. Now we don't know the entire details, my own speculation is that from the begining PP had a grand plan to get all the unions to go along with much lower pay scales and perhaps they got the unions to lower pay scales from tv but not as low as they wanted, and adding up all the costs they decided they couldn't go ahead with the online version of the soaps. Its outrageous for some to imply we believed in something that would never happen, as if we were idiots to believe it could happen, as PP tried their best to do this, at least someone in Hollywood saw the potential for our beloved soap genre, thats something that doesn't happen everyday. I'm grateful they tried hard to do this, no one did a damn thing to save other soaps recently canceled, so at least AMC and OLTL had someone trying to save them.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I should clarify that in my mind, just airing online did not equate to success. In order for the shows to have been successful, they would have had to have lasted an extra five years. (I sincerely doubt many thought that would happen.)

Honestly, as bad as this news is, I'd much rather the venture be a no-go than to see AMC & OLTL move online and look like bargain basement productions (which I always feared would happen). Going out looking like Wheeler's GL was not in the best interest of either soap, or of the genre as a whole.

• Members

Martha Byrne Tweets

So sorry for AMC and OLTL fans. So much to say, but I want to hear all the details before I comment. If anyone is interested.

Here's the deal..Under the current structure of daytime financially it would never have worked online. It's not profitable

There have been successful deals with unions in the past for TV and online productions #fact

You need a company who has a history of online success to make these shows work online

Please know that there ARE people working hard to make this happen. I am one of them.

I will set up a twitter chat so I can answer your questions if you'd like

One last point..I know for a fact that unions have successfully negotiated deals to make many productions happen. See you tonight!

• Members

In an interview I read in SOW about a month ago RC said that he was very mindful of needing to create a satisfying ending for ABC viewers (ie those that weren't going to follow the show online). Which is quite different from Agnes Nixon's "I don't care about wrapping things up on ABC, I care about keeping the show interesting [for the move online]" statement.

Plus OLTL may be able to make changes in post-production....at least in terms of subtracting stuff.

As a sidenote I re-watched the AMC finale (which I was originally was very critical of) for the first time since Sept. 23rd the other night and I liked it....maybe even loved it. Even as the end.

• Members

Most of the people from OLTL who signed were either newbies/teenagers or people who didn't have other options. Plus I remember MEK (AMC) saying that PP's initial offer was "generous" so I'm guessing there were plenty of big promises and (hopefully) signing bonuses. I don't blame them for signing. Easier to trust PP than to hit the audition circuit and face rejection every day.

• Members

They could put text at the bottom of the screen in the last minute saying what would happen next, but I doubt they would go that far.

I think that some actors signed on in hopes that things would work out, and thinking by doing so they and the rest of the team would have jobs if it did happen.

LOL on HBS about being careful in regards to what she says.

Archived