AMC and OLTL Canceled! Part 2!

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

From the moment PP insinuated they wanted to produce AMC and OLTL 2.0 in much the same way that the network versions had been produced -- with several episodes per week, similar cast sizes and comparable production values -- the enterprise as a whole was doomed not to succeed. If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times: if you want to launch a successful series on the web, then you have to "think small" the way people like Irna Phillips and Roy Winsor did. Actors, even good ones, want to work often for the "exposure" alone (in other words, they didn't get into the business in order to make lavish salaries), but you can't be all Doug Marland and hire, like, 42 of them at one time to appear in three-minute episodes. (Yes, Martha, I'm talking to you.) You can't produce a network-quality soap opera for the Internet, where revenues and financial backing remain hard things to pin down. Hell, even the networks are struggling to produce network-quality soaps!

Lord, how I wish PP had just tried to develop a brand-new soap....

• Members

I would have no problem with that. I was prepared to pay for OLTL and AMC, If I can pay for HBO every month and never turn it on I can pay the same amount of money for 10 episodes a week of a soap. I was curious about Hulu Gold, but never understood what pay Hulu gave you free Hulu didn't, and then as soon as pay Hulu was born the networks announced they were restricting online access anyway. But if someone put every surviving episode of AMC online, I would subscribe.

• Members

I think that's something that could happen with all the soaps, ATWT, GL, Search for Tomorrow, Santa Barbara. I have hope it might happen someday. I don't know enough to understand the obstacles, but I have to believe they will overcome someday. Seems like easy money for the people who own the rights.

• Members

Oh well. I waited, and now I'm seeing. Oh well.

For the record, I don't think this was some huge conspiracy. I think it's pretty simple. PP thought they could do something, but they couldn't. ABC probably figured all along that PP wouldn't be successful, because they knew what it would take to make this work, but I don't think they actively wanted it to fail.

• Members

It depends on the show, for me. I tend to just enjoy what's in the moment and try not to think about what happens later. Sometimes that's easy, sometimes it's not. It depends on the story or characters. Some Ryan's Hope stuff I can watch again and again. Others I barely cared about the first time.

I'm most interested in all the stuff I've never really gotten to see before, or only seen bits of.

• Members

I'm not buying the conspiracy theories either. I'm a huge X-Files fan and still don't buy the magic bullet killed JFK theory... YET I see no earthly reason to believe a media giant like Disney cooked up a HOAX with PP to silence a tiny group of soap fans. We're like gnats to be stomped on without another look by giant Disney.

I feel PP was on the right track. The future of daytime soaps should be online. But I watch MSNBC and heard over and over the economy continues so sluggish b/c investors/banks are hoarding cash versus investing in new ventures or expanding business. PP never stood a chance in this climate.

I am grateful to the actors, crew, and PP who tried to keep our soaps alive. I place the blame squarely on Disney's shoulders as they killed ABC Daytime.

Archived