OLTL: Discussion for the week of November 21

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

All I kept thinking was of that ABC recap which seemed so giddy about Nathesulah beating Matthew. And it led to this. That's what ABC now represents.

I really think it was a bad decision to kill Matthew off. I would have rather he just moved to a rehab facility offcamera for the rest of the show. Too many Buchanans have already been killed off for one or two sad face moments, and this is also the second time they have done the "Well at least he had a baby!" twist of "irony" or whatever. The last miracle baby, Zane, is now stuck in a boarding school, somewhere between the ages of 7 and 17.

For once I wish these soaps didn't have to end with the manipulative deaths designed to wring out tears and show us how awesome they are. It's the type of thing that has driven viewers away in the first place.

• Members

Sorry - I didn't mean to forget that today was the last Thanksgiving episode, not to mention the PP news. I am going to just enjoy what is left and not focus on what I dislike, but that decision just bothered me enough that I couldn't stop.

• Members

I just watched today's episode. Wiping away the tears. I totally did not expect that. The show was so good today then that happened.

Top it off, I'm seeing this stuff about PP. I didn't set my heart on it, but I really hoping the show would continue.

Oh yeah, I don't appreciate Bobby, but you know what, out of all my years of watching the soaps, there have been much worse.

• Members

True but... isn't the fact that Matthew is a Buchanan at all manipulative itself? He was a Rappaport until the Rappaports didn't matter anymore and it was suddenly convenient to make him a Buchanan. Just like last week when they were making a huge deal about Clint being at his daughter's wedding, I was like please you didn't even know she was your daughter until like five years ago.

• Members

I think that was just common sense - there was little story out of him being a Rappaport, and there was a chance he could be a Buchanan, since the paternity tests were so confused.

To me there's no real story out of killing Matthew. It's just the same old "Look at how dramatic we are, we are geniuses! We make you sad! Emmy Emmy!" type of stuff.

• Members

I am not invested in him at all and I found it incredibly well done and sad. He has been in a coma for a long time, and I found it exceptionally well done to just randomly check in on him out of nowhere. The timing was random, the fact he wasn't around just heightens the fact he has been lost to his family for so long, and then just like that it is over. And it's sad with the whole Destiny factor.

Archived