time to merge Y&R and B&B?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

B&B and Y&R are very different shows that take place in different cities. Aside from relocating a character or couple, the two soaps will never merge. Furthermore,B&B is an international hit. I'm sure that Brad Bell can find a new home for B&B once CBS cancels the show and earn a healthy income just off international distribution. The Bells would not make mega millions off such a deal but it would keep the family business alive while making money. If OLTL and AMC can live, the future is sunny for B&B.

• Members

I think they've merged, as much as they ever could. B&B has become so much more camp--that the tones are different. If one were to end, I could see a few characters moving over, but that's about it.

I've heard B&B is no longer the international hit it was--though it still does very well. But I think they'd need a company in the US to fund them to still continue on, regardless of international.

• Members

No way, it would be BB's loss as they would lose the international market. I saw an interview with John McCook & he said the reason BB stays a 30 minute show is because of the international aspect.

BB is the money maker why do anything to mess that up?

• Members

They may be Bell shows but for me they are two different soaps with their own style, tone and DNA. I love (or have loved them) for completely different reasons. While Deacon from B&B meshed well with Nikki on Y&R, and Ashley and Lauren were stand-outs on B&B, I wouldn't want anything more than that (well, except maybe Victoria Rowell on B&cool.png. I love that Don Diamont and Heather Tom or playing completely different characters on the show, too -- I actually prefer them as Bill and Katie, weirdly. I guess this is my long-winded way of saying I'd like B&B to stay just the way it is, the half-hour "bijoux" soap. smile.png

• Members

Correct... and it would especially be a bad decision considering that Bill Bell specifically wanted that independence. In 1973, Bell was a successful head writer on Days, but he had to, for several reasons, give Screen Gems (later Columbia TV, eventually bought by Sony) majority stake in the new show he and his wife created for CBS. In 1987. after years of success with Y&R, Bell wanted his next show to be owned only by his family. That's why he created a completely separate company (Bell-Phillip TV, as opposed to Bell Dramatic Serial Company that owns his stake in Y&R) to produce B&B. Brad, Lee and Bill Jr. would never give that up when Bill wanted it that way.

EricMontreal22 is right that B&B does not have the international audience it used to, but it is still a big hit overseas with more countries watching than any other soap. Brad Bell has said that they still likely would need some US outlet on top of that, but he's not discounting losing the US market completely right now. He might be thinking like Prospect Park is about a cable syndication deal, in addition to international sales and maybe even online viewing.

• Members

The fact that BB is still aired and being sold abroad is IMO a success especially since it's basically the only US soap to do this.

Here are the italian ratings for "Beautiful" for friday the 30th of september 2011:

"Beautiful 3.294.000 viewers, share 19,30%"

BB are beating the competition hands down and is the lead in that has canale 5 winning the afternoon block for years now.

http://www.tvblog.it/post/28069/ascolti-tv-30-settembre-2011-migliori-anni-sangue-caldo-colorado

Archived