Y&R: Discussion for the Month of October

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

HWs should be like a Jesuit priest -- they break down a character before building them back up. Tucker is broke down, but if we had a talented HW there is no reason why he couldn't be built back up again. "Talented HW" is key, of course, lol.

SN should be written off the canvas. It's a shame because I loved him as Steve on Days and later as Stefan on GH. The range he showed in both roles! I rejoiced when he came to Y&R because I wasn't nuts about his predecessor who played Tucker as Peepaw McElvis.

As for Kay, the show has tried to paint her manipulative and selfish actions as some kind of selfless wisdom bestowing respectability on characters the audience hates (Cane, Kevin, Chloe) while pissing on beloved vets (Jill, mostly, but also Jack, Paul, Chance). That makes me despise her more, actually. I'm glad that they have given up trying to do that with the Devon story (for now). Jeanne Cooper's performance is actually the better for it.

Kay has always been a self-serving, self-absorbed, unstable character whose actions led to the death of two Philip Chancellors. She gave away other people's babies (and her own) when she was totally drunk off her ass, tried to ruin every one of Jill's marriages, kept Jabot out of the hands of the Abbotts (despite her self-proclaimed "loyalty" to the memory of John Abbott) and then tried to deny Tucker the chance to connect with his long-lost son. Granny Chancellor is finally exposed!

• Members

WTF? Giggly Heffa is forgiven by Malcolm for trampling over him in her rush to blast his family's secret across the internet? In the first 3 minutes of Friday's show?! [!@#$%^&*] you Y&R.

I thought the show was laying off showing Phyllis 24/7 because of negative viewer feedback and the fact that MAB wrote what was once the show's most promising triangle into the ground (and ruined Sharon in order to prop Phick). I guess I was mistaken.

• Members

It annoys me that during the last go-round with Jill, Katharine was written as a saint, and now, only when they want to try to exhume Tucker, is Katharine written in a more negative light. I also think the constant health crises are so morbid and patronizing.

• Members

I spoke too soon -- today's US episode wasn't just about propping Giggly Heffa, it was about re-positioning that halo atop Saint Granny's head. Swooping down to help YoHarmony -- right after she lectured Devon about his uncharitable attitude towards her.

IA about the health crises, they are morbid -- they also look like Kay is playing everybody by stroking out and then, one day later, making a miraculous recovery. Handing out alms to Yolanda comes across as equally self-serving. Right now she's trying to bribe her way into Devon's affections with the record company deal. I'm betting that when Devon starts to show interest, she will snatch it away from him (Aha! That'll teach ya!) like she does Jabot with Jack.

• Members

Not crazy about the way Debbi Morgan is playing Yolanda/Harmony so far -- much too tough, much too hard. I don't want a weeping mess, but the character's too different from old Yolanda.hable.

The name change is laughable. First Candy, then Yolanda, then Harmony. It's ridiculous.

• Members

I used to be a Phyllis lover, from her first scene till about 2003 and then she started to eat the show alive. Michelle Stafford became a "star" at Y&R, the only soap, so far as I can recall, that never had a breakout diva or star (Eric Braeden's close, but he isn't Lucci or Slezak or Strasser or Wyndham or Dano or Zimmer)...and that's when I just had enough of Phyllis. She was the ideal supporting character, just like Michael Baldwin. The minute they both became leads, it was all over.

Archived