Dancing With the Stars: Season 13

• Members

Not just the choreography, which often was simplified beyond belief, but staging too--since most of his scenes were meant to be a vopice at the back of the theatre and he wanted more "screen time" they had to restage them for him to be on stage front and center (as well as leading the finale which makes no sense for his character--so much for the show being a recreation honouring Michael Bennett's creation... It's far worse than when they give Christie Brinkley the "C" level choreography to play Roxie in Chicago, which basically is no movement at all). And yeah I love that documentary even if some feels staged to me--and it's just reinforced why i despise Tyce Diorio so mcuh from Think You Can Dance and his constant subpar rip offs of more famous Broadway routines--amazing dancer but the fact he was so clueless to breakdown and say what he said on camera when he didn't get the Chorus Line role is just beyond me.

*ahem* Sorry, rant.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jonathan was popular but not a big name. They kept giving him duds and people who were openly rude (Macy Gray supposedly told him that she wanted Maks as her partner) until he left. If you aren't tied to Maks, Derek, or Mark, you don't have a chance.

The results show dances used to be such fun. Now they're all so dreary and miserable, because the show sees itself as some sort of super-serious expression of dance. I miss the days when they'd recreate the last bit of Dirty Dancing.

• Members

I haven't seen it but a friend of mine is in it. Oh wow, wait, Tyce is in it? Is he the really annoying one who used to try to be all bitchy and outrageous and gay-Simon-like on SYTYCD? What did he say? I also remember reading that Mario Lopez was jealous of his co-star's physique, we talked about that before, I'm forgetting his name... big ass smile and eyeballs.

• Members

I think even if you're not a fan, it's a fun watch--it really is a warts and all docu about the auditioning process (i actually wished, as a fan of Chrosu line they had more bits about the orgiinal, though there's some)--it doesn't hide the fact that people they loved in a role were passed on due to looks, etc (there's some interesting stuff there since the original Chorus Line was at a time when Broadway dancers didn't have such super muscly bodies, usually weren't such true triple threats when it came to singing anyway, etc). Now I'm curious who your friend is...

Sounds like you have tyce pegged--curly hair, really big ego, he also does SYTYCD's Broadway choreography which is ALWAYS him taking an iconic Fosse or jerome Robbins routine and badly re-choreographing it. :P But he is an amazing dancer--when he didn't get the role in the musical's revival he has a huge meltdown on camera--all tears and tantrums, about how he knew he was the best, etc.

Yeah Mario was jealous of Nick Adams (currently in Priscella as one of the drag queens) who, to be fair, seems to have built his Broadway rep on being a nice guy, and having the best arms in the biz. He forced them to change the costume to cover up Nick's arms, and show Mario's (again which is a big deal to theatre purists because the point was to keep the original iconic costumes) http://www.insidesocal.com/outinhollywood/2008/05/mario-lopez-is-he-starring-in.html has the story LOL

• Members

Man, I read that article and I'm like livid all over again. :lol: The sheer and utter VANITY, ARROGANCE, UGH! If I was Nick Adams I would have said hell no and reported this stunt to Equity. I know that's easier said than done and fruitless, the producers can make whatever costume decisions they want and of course the guy doesn't want to lose his job, but I am so glad this story saw the light of day.

Is Mario's role the dance captain?

Wait, never mind, the role I was curious about is I think the role Nick played.

• Members

Yeah Nick is the dance captain--Mario played the Robert LuPone role of Zack who is the choreographer and meant to be for most of the stage show a voice from the back :P Though LuPone was a better dancer than Mario.

Yeah to be fair, the revival was on its last legs and so needed some stunt casting I suppose (the same producers have kept Chicago running forever that way), but you'd think they could have found someone else. Mario obviously didn't make many friends with the cast, lol.

• Members

The dancers do not get to choose music (save song that tells my life story weeks) or costume, which surprised me when I first learned about that. In terms of costume, I assume they do get to tell the costume designers what their theme is going to be for the dance so they can be put into something that makes sense. It's input, but IMO that's far from fault-hiding costume designing from Derek or any other dancer.

Whatever Derek's faults, he knows how to choreograph very well for himself and for his partner. He gets the compliments because he does impressive work.

Maks is hot as hell and is a pretty good choreographer too, but sometimes it doesn't work out for him and he doesn't like it and gets agitated and he ends up acting as bad as Len. Hope had potential but she can't seem to get over the hump to get to her full potential That's the way it is sometimes.

• Members

was it just me or did maks look more pissed off than usual last night? it seemed everytime the camera panned him he had a scowl on his face. there was just something different with his attitude and the way other dancers and partners were treating him or maybe it's just me? lol

• Members

I really want Hope to go. Not only is she miserable but she's a terrible dancer, hasn't improved at all. Poor Nancy and JR were utterly screwed with the music they had to dance to.

Also, Carrie Ann...hate her. Always have. She's so disingenuous and always such a bitch to other women, especially those who have kept themselves in good nick for their ages.

Finally...Derek. I just have to say this: I loathe him. I hope he shatters his ankles in a dramatic paso doble and never dances again. He is just SUCH a smarmy bastard.

• Members

David dancing with the skeleton was hilarious.

I am really disliking Ricki. It seems like every week she tries to set it up so expectations are nice and low.

Something seemed off with JR at the very end of the show when the credits were rolling. I don't know if he was angry or if he is worried he is going home this week or if he felt personally responsible for his team losing the group round, but he was not his normal smiling self. It looked like Maks was reaching out to him.

I so hope Hope is out this week. She does seem like a miserable person. I am worried about JR this week though.

Archived