Dancing With the Stars: Season 13

• Members

Oh, I don't think I watched that season. LOL Thoughto be fair he said that tot he camewra after the fact, not while standing their getting the judgements which is where I do find it more inappropriate (if anything those private cam shots are meant to have the 'real thoughts on what the judges said", not when you stand there).

How many relatives of Maks are there? :P but you're right about the male lockdown--I would have thought by now that Tony would be fed up getting stuck with who he gets stuck with. And yes Tristan and Kym's rumba was a rare highlight. (The result show dances, even the guest dancers have been VERY lacklustre this year whereas in the past they've sometimes surprised me with who and what they've had on. Don't get me started about that mess In The Heights/West Side Story crapfest Kenny Ortega choreographed for Corbin Blue last night, WTF?)

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mario used to win dancing championships or some kind back when he was young, I think. It didn't matter as much on DWTS because he made every dance look the same (and there was so much nauseating preening). Rarely have I been as pleased to see someone lose.

• Members

Flapjack-lipped Len is annoying to listen to and he seems to get incredulous for no good reason. Carrie Ann is pleasant enough, but she does have a thing for being covertly bitchy or disingenuous. I still don't like how she told Susan Lucci she was too skinny and might not be able to keep her strength. A woman should know better than to say something like that to another woman, especially on live national television.

• Members

You're right some people do hve it naturally. I just always think back about doing semi pro musicals as a teen and the girls--who normally had had at least one year of ballet as a kid or tap or whatever--could pick up the basic stuff pretty well, and the boys, except the few of us who had some background as well, almost always were utterly hopeless and stifff, but there are exceptions. And he is latino :P

And I agree with Mario, he definitely had some (probably slight) background in dance as a kid being in his shows, and probably doing whatever else his stage mother put him into. Even if he did cause them to grossly, and IMHO blasphemously, change some of the little choreography he had when he did the Chorus Line revival but we won't get into all the reasons I despise the man for his arrogance and attitude he showed when he was on Broadway. :P

• Members

Someone said George Chakiris was in the audience looking bewildered.

I think Maks also has a cousin somewhere on the show, but that might be a nightmare for an upcoming season. So far it's just Maks and his dull brother. Either way, the male pro side desperately needs a freshening up. They have had so many good men who aren't kept around when they should have been, like Pamela Anderson's partner, Marlee Matlin's partner, Jonathan Roberts, etc. The viewers dumping Mark so early this season should be a big warning light to the show.

The results show dances are so boring and pretentious. I don't care about the dull brother showing his chest in various open shirts as some anonymous blonde is thrown around like old spaghetti. Angst, angst, misery, woe, earnest lip-chewing ponderousness. It's Battlestar Galactica: The Dance.

This is what DWTS USED to have, and what even Strictly rarely does at this point (they usually have a lot of "macho" men posing and preening as if they can grow a few more inches if they furrow their eyebrows long enough). This is such fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_MUOJSUbTM

• Members

*Especially* a woman with as much dance world experience as Carrie Ann. I like her alright--she seems like she'd be nice and fun, if as you say a bit disengenuous to hang out with in real life which I can't say for either other judge, but... (Maybe I just giver her too much credit cuz she was the topless lesbian dancer in Madonna's Girlie Show :P

• Members

He is not one of my favorite people. I'll never forget when he was all kissy-flirty with his partner and he caught the camera catching them and he PUSHED her off of him. I caught one of my friends in a similar situation once, and I always compared said sleazey friend to ML, it was like the universe giving me a big pat on my intuitive back.

• Members

HA I had no clue he did In the Heights--I was wondering why they were featuring a song froma show that probably most of America watching had no clue about. I thought it was a mess of a performance all in all, though I do always feel bad when you see backup dancers, probably getting paid next to nothing, who can easily out dance the "star" (which is more often than not the experience of watching Chicago on Broadway recently...)

• Members

I forgot about Jonathan Roberts--wasn't he actually pretty popular? I would have assumed show--maybe Maks was beign serious when he called it his show as it seems like he has some control.

Oh it's Pasha. LOL I always find it funny how these people pop up everywhere. It's true the live performances used to, it seems anyway, have more different conepts behind them, now they all almost seem the same. (there was some tiny controversy when Kylie was on, I think last year though she's been on other years, and she asked to do one number with her own dancers she was touring with anyway--lots of fansites said what an insult that was, etc, but I think I understood the reasoning behind it, even if I thought it was outrageously funny that she did the full on gay performance she did, which goes off well on her tour with fans, or on European tv but I assumed confused most of middle America or just put them off:

Oh apparently Kylie did use Mark and some girl I don't notice for her second performance when she was on a few years back, but at least they seem to be trying to do something fitting with the music (and sorry, I won't turn this into a Kylie thread :P )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSNgVTORNx8

• Members

His whole season was just about unwatchable thanks to this nonsense. Their video packages were horribly staged, tacky moments like his going out to dance with Eva Longoria (his ex) as his partner Karina fumed. Or Karina in her bikini and Mario in his trunks and she rubbed lotion on him, or whatever. It was just look at me, look at me, I'm a rebel, I'm so hot. Ugh.

• Members

Oh Gahhhd, totally! That annoys me about judges like her and the So You Think You Can Dance judges, and yes, Miss Paula Abdul. Half the time it's about them pulling focus from the moment, especially awful when the moment wasn't all *that* touching.nbe.jpg

• Members

Yeah, he replaced Lin, I think this was around the time Corbin was in NY doing that failed Ashton Kutcher produced series about models starring Mischa Barton.

You mentioned Lopez messing with the choreography of ACL, did you see that documentary they did, Every Little Step?

• Members

That seems to be Mario in a nutshell. I almost feel like he's not aware he does it, it comes so naturally to him. It is all about him--the TONS of stories of him holding up the start of Chorus Line because he was late, but he is the "star", or missing his cues because he was outside in the lobby signing autographs, doing situps or on his cell phone, etc...

And then when they even start mentioning tragedy or stories in their own lives which are why they're crying, etc, etc... I can't.

Archived