Dancing With the Stars: Season 13

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not mad at him, but I did cringe when Maks said "I made this show, this is my show" or something like that. And then there was that comment that was obviously about Chaz's dancing when he was talking about scoring. I like Hope and Maks but Hope did suck the other night, she was almost as bad as Chaz.

I do agree that they'll give some performers an 8 for just having personality one week and then they'll give the same score or lower to another performer even if they're like 2-3 times better than that performer in actual skill.

They're doing a story on this right now on WABC-New York. Maks is unapologetic and making some good points about the judges comparing contestants to animals. His father is so cute. His father says he does not like his son disrespecting somebody older than him. Maks did roll back on the "this is my show" comment, he said it came out the wrong way. I think he then proceeded to pick on Derek, according to the reporter, saying Derek's had better partners. Derek's just gotten lucky. I disagree, I think Cheryl and Derek are better teachers than most of the other professional dancers.

• Members

I don't think Derek's a good teacher, I think he's a good mirror master. The latest being giving Ricki that long dress to hide her bad footwork for the quickstep. Ricki is too busy talking about her weight and age and implying JR only gets through because "he's a war hero" - her dancing seems like an afterthought.

I used to think Cheryl was one of the best teachers but after so many years of duds, I'm not sure anymore.

I think Kym is the best teacher.

• Members

I do find Ricki more and more off putting in her comments, though she has natural musicality which helps immeasurably, and picks up things fast (both qualities JR has as well--he's hands down my fave but I don't fully buy him saying he's never danced *at all* before). Re Derek, I think he is a good teacher, but I get what you're saying and frankly I think that's an important quality to have as a partner on this show. You should do things to hide the flaws of your "celeb", and the worst partners are the ones who never seem to get this. (but Derek doesn't fully egt to choose the costume, does he? I thought they could sort of suggest, but that was it--to be honest Ricki looks a LOT better in longer dresses anyway).

That said I do think they usually pair Derek (and Kym for that matter) with dancers they feel have more potential, absolutely. And I do think he's one of the better choreographers by far, even if it does sometimes have the tendency to show himself off at least as much as his partner (again I'm not sure that's really a bad thing or against the rules).

As for Chaz, he did deserve to go, but I did think he actually had a point about the one judge calling him a penguin, and an ewok, etc--I know Bruno seems to think hegets paid for his outlandish metaphors and comparisons but it did seem a bit insensitive week after week. To then say it was unfair that they praised the women for losing weight and not him was a bit much (though he does seem to have lost some weight, but come on...) I get the impression though some of that was said in the heat of the moment anyway--initially I got the impression Chaz though he was going to go every week, and then he got to a point where he seemed to think people would vote him in long enough to get ot the semi finals and he was shocked he was booted.

(oh and I don't dislike Maks at all, but I've never really gotten his appeal either--I have friends who watch just for him. And I did think i was a bad dance from Hope, who at this point I expected more from... And I kinda agree with Derek's quote that you shouldn't talk back to the judges even when they say idiotic things--although this show is more about entertainment, I know from countless music and dance competitions I did as a teen that the best thing to do is always just stand there and take it, and then complain to your friends afterwords tongue.png)

• Members

Derek himself has talked back to the judges - he may have forgotten that since he's been the golden boy for so long.

Ricki just seems awkward to me. I still can't get that jive out of my head where he apparently knew she couldn't dance and instead they both did a lot of grinding against each other like one of those desperate couples on a dance floor after too many.

Hiding your partner's flaws is important, but it isn't very fun to watch. Derek is at the point where he could put his partner in a potato sack, go out and dance on his own, and get a 29. It just doesn't matter anymore. It's all Derek Hough "artiste". Then again, when Derek isn't taking himself seriously, he's doing "hip-hop" that looks like that Joey Lawrence breakdancing Gimme a Break episode, so perhaps it's for the best.

Maks has a lot of swagger and a hot ass. That will always get attention. He also has natural charisma. His deadly dull brother just reinforces the difference. I think Maks is, like several others, a good dancer, a great dancer, but a poor choreographer and teacher.

I do think Chaz had a good point. Unfortunately it will probably just be written off as whining, since generally the judges were nice to Chaz. The judges have a history of being extremely vile to people they dislike. There doesn't have to be a reason. They just hate. They did this with, among others, Carson Kressley, and a few years ago, Mario, the R&B singer. The judges are the worst part of this show, along with the endless dourness that has seeped into every crack. And the need to show how they are about TRUE DANCE and DRAMA.

They need to fire most of their pros. The ratings are falling anyway, and most of them are their own merchandising machines at this point. There's nothing left. There's no joy of dancing, there's no entertainment or passion. Cheryl, Derek, Mark, Maks, Tony, etc. They also need to fire their judges. Carrie Ann is #1 on my GTFO list.

• Members

Carl, I actually basically agree with all of that, even your criticism of Derek's hip hop (though ti's even harder to watch when his peudo brother Mark does it, but Mark seems to have less ego). That said, when Derek talks back, yes it's disengenuous but he does it with a laugh or something else which gets him off the hook, and really that's exactly how you should do it, unfortunately. Maks gets all into his Eastern European passion fo the moment, which I'm sure audiences love but is exactly what you should not do. But at this point it doesn't really matter (and you're right he's a great dancer I think actually but his style of teaching barely works with anyone--you can't tell a soccer player she needs to be more 'sexy" when she has no grasp of what that means in dance and ballroom terms--and has trouble getting choreography that flatters his partner). And you're right that his brother doesn't have the presence or charisma for tv. (My friends go on about Maks ass as well but I've never noticed anything too appealing in that respect tongue.png )

I agree that they need to reformat--these reality shows always get burdened down by their judges starting to think it's *their* show, and on this show that goes for many of the pros too. Am Idol is the obvious example, and more and more reality shows being created seem to erroneously think that the judges are the stars which never gives them much long term life. I *much much* prefered the Canadian So you Think You Can Dance the past few years simply because it wasn't the Nigel Lythgoe and Friends show.

Your right that the judges no longer seem to even try to hide who they like and dislike, but if they are going to go on and on in the video packages how proud they are of Chaz for all he's done and the person he is, and then not be able to filter themselves out from comparing him repeatedly to fat, asexual animals (are Ewoks animals?) then...

I don't much like Lacey (though I like her much more than her father and her brother who I can't even watch dance), but I do find her attitude on the show much more appealing and maybe it's because she's new. And, while he doesn't seem too popular, and he's stuck with the horrific Nancy, I also find Tristan much more appealing than many of the past pros who take it so seriously (I read one blog that mentioned that he actually kinda looks like a real person, not that typical plucked, tanned ballroom look).

Ricki does have some awkard moments, especially in transitions (which seem to be the hard point for everyone) but I think it's hidden well, probably partly because she has some (limited) acting talent.

I don't get the Rob K stuff at all, I didn't think he was as bad as judges did this week, but I didn't think he was even slightly as good as they have though in past weeks--he has that stiff thing most guys on the show with no background in dance have, the Cam Mathison thing where instead of moving your arm out and following through with the movement all the way (something JR does really well which is why I think again he has some history with dance or movement), he just kinda juts it out, though i thought Cam M at least improved a lot more over the show than he has..

I think at this point, he feels he can talk that way and get away with it, in fact fans will lap it up, and frankly, he's right unfortunately. But I agree--he's had enough experience to be able to control himself and word himself better.

• Members

Tristan seems popular, but that doesn't matter, as the male pro side is usually locked down - Maks, relatives of Maks, Tony (a friend of Maks, although he also serves a useful purpose in being paired with the frail/weak dancers), Mark and Derek. This rarely changes, so you're left with one or two spots. I won't be surprised if Tristan isn't asked back, even though he's won a lot of people over and is extremely charismatic and likeable. His rumba with Kym was the only results show dance this season I gave a damn about. It's just so sensual and they are dancing, not playing for the camera.

Rob is an easy "journey". The dancing is irrelevant. Add in that his family is very popular with a younger demo, and his family raise hell whenever he's criticized, and he hangs on.

The only person Maks works with is someone who blusters right back at him and doesn't need to learn to dance, either because they have natural talent (Mel B ) or they aren't there to dance anyway (Kirstie).

• Members

You guys are so funny. :lol: But I can believe that J.R. has had no training, some people just have a gift for aesthetic and movement. I don't however believe that Mario Lopez had zero dance training. He obviously was getting a little back during Kids Incorporated and Saved by the Bell for the choreographed numbers. Which of course brings us to Ricki "Hairspray" Lake...

Archived