Bizarre soap scenes

• Members

I should look for those GL clips where Blake decides to become a justice of the peace by mail. I never understood the purpose of this story. I can't even remember if she married anyone.

There's also the Vivian tooth implant story. There's a clip on Youtube of Dr. Wu yanking the chip out - let's just say that I won't post because it will just make people never want to go to the dentist again, LOL.

Here's one where she hears Jay Leno's voice in her mouth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T7IgY2MVSM

Weren't she and Stefano married in a hot air balloon, by a Tammy Faye (RIP) impersonator?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The SSK storyline was when daytime realized how off his rocker JER was. Though the possession storyline was way out there, it was always rooted in a storyline of true love conquering all and of spiritual bonding, using virtually the whole cast in many different aspects. I wasn't a fan, but it was grounded in reality just enough to keep viewers emotionally invested.

But the absolutely shitfest that was Marlena "offing" beloved veterans (okay, minus Cassie) in sick, demented, Shock Cinema type methods made a lot of people, me included, say enough is enough. I know the ratings spiked during this debacle, but people always slow down near a car accident to see the mess before speeding off moments later, so I really don't feel that the ratings meant anything in this case. I honestly tuned out before the conclusion of the story, when I saw Marlena dropping into a "Hell" that looked more like a lava lamp background from That 70's Show, and I tuned out until Carrie was brought back. Even then, I couldn't stand to watch it daily, even for her, because it was just so damn bad.

I think it was a mixture of JER's bizarre ideas and over exhaustion from trying to do two shows simultaneously, and I think he was in competition with himself to outdo each outlandish idea with another. Either way, this story was the most bizarre, badly written, and awfully acted in daytime history, right along with the Virtual Eden storyline, IMO.

• Members

I can't believe they had Blofeld (without actually showing him of course). That's just crazy goodness.

I always thought it was kind of funny how casually they bludgeoned Bo and Hope over the head. Wasn't that the start of the story?

• Members

Wasnt there some cave that a dark figure came out of and then Bo and Hope were beaten over the head at some event, and the whole thing started. I actually liked the first part of the storyline, it was creepy dark and really unsoaplike. Wasnt there a nursery rhyme chant people heard and didnt they hear Tom Horton call their name before they were killed (this was during the phase where there were rumours Reilly was bringing Tom Horton back as a demon...lol) Maggie's murder, while way too violent for a beloved vet, was creepy and scary and the text messages the killer sent of dancing skeletons "Death never takes a holiday!"(Maggie was killed on Halloween.. but then after that even a viewer like myself with no history with the show began to become numb to the deaths, it just became a formula and there was no feeling behind them...(I think the president of NBC said he didnt want the characters to "mourn," too much to bring the viewers down so someone would be murdered and the next day all the residents of Salem would be up to their usual inane business.) I just staid in there to see how the f*ck they were going to explain this (and I will never get those hours back) and of course, it got more stupid, campier and poorly acted as they went along..and of course to hear my beloved Celeste the psychic scream "Oh NO EVIL has come to SALEM!!!!" lol!

There were hints that it was all a fake...people in trances would mutter "Things are not as they seem." Though I do have to say, if there were no spoilers, SOD didnt put it on their cover and if it had been written tightly the scene where Marlena goes to the island and sees Alice is a very good scene. Too bad it didnt all add up to something.

• Members

I think Bo and Hope were bludgeoned at a swimwear charity fashion show with the teens. I get the idea behind the teens being unscathed and affected by the deaths, but I kind of wish a few of them had been offed, especially if it had prevented Gigi's abortion story, a real low point for daytime, IMO.

Maggie's death was pretty scary and unflinching. At the time I remember being very disturbed by Roman's death too, although that might have been because of the manner in which he was killed.

Speaking of serial killers, while I'm glad AW gave Crystal Gayle a real chance to do more than just stand in place and sing a song, I still can't ever quite get past the oddness of seeing Crystal Gayle fight off the Sin Stalker. She could teach today's daytime ladies a few lessons.

• Members

Oh speaking of bizarre soap scenes, you need to look no further then McTavish's work on GL. I loved Brent/Marion and thought it was a nice creative twist on soap psychos and soap conventions..some of the scenes were just plain weird. I never like Nadine, (I never met a Cooper I liked) but thought her killing was a bit brutal and it was played jokey, (Brent throwing her body in the dumpster, "How about a little diner food Deenie?") and then him scrubbing the floor of her blood while listening to A-M and Lucy's convo, (he had them bugged.) But the weirdest scene, and needless to say one of my faves..dumb Lucy still hasnt figured out that Marion is not who she says she is, despite being kidnapped by her and held at the lighthouse. She makes a comment that she know Marion has feelings for her but she can't return them and Brent/Marion screams, "You think I am a LESBIAN????" in outrage of the mere thought of that!

I wont even go into when they brought the dreaded Brad Cole back and they had a scene with him and Edmund, and Eddie was freaked and checking him out and Jeffie says, "Hey man, its cool if your gay but Im not into that!" WTF (needless to say it was just even weirder as both actors acted like they wanted to pounce on each other constantly even when playing brothers.

• Members

The Brent/Marian stuff was definitely weird, although pretty good (in its own sick way). Didn't he destroy Lucy's car while dressed as Marian?

Remember Jeffrey/Beth having sex on the floor of a Japanese restaurant? Ridiculous.

• Members

Perhaps, insider information suggests as much - but I wouldn't even go that far. I think JER had every intention in the world to kill Alice Horton. By now, it's common knowledge how much he hated working for DAYS, for Ken Corday, and for NBC.

Exactly. Mickey Horton looked like a fool in that storyline, and that's exactly the way JER wanted it, too.

As I live and breathe! "Alice Horton" cussing like a longshoreman!

;-)

Archived