Bizarre soap scenes

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Two Todds story doesn't hold a candle to the SSK, if you ask me. At least everything in the Todds story is being explained onscreen (even if the explanations are dumb). I remember the episode where they revealed, via flashbacks, how André had made Marlena THINK she was killing everyone, and it was so horrible and implausible that I literally thought, "They should just flash a card onscreen that says none of this ever happened and ask us all to play along." It was that bad. You could see them going, "How the hell do we get out of this?!"

• Members

These replies have me in stitches.

Anyway, I couldn't read this thread and not contribute

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3FOJmL1LjY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3FOJmL1LjY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3FOJmL1LjY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

"Bats, Lexie, Bats!"

• Members

Another scene I always got a good laugh out of was on GL, when Blake's Uncle Ken tried to help her get back a naughty videotape of herself and Ben Warren. He confronted the blackmailer with his big cane, and the next time you saw the blackmailer, he'd had the sh!t beaten out of him. It was just so hilariously odd, as was everything in Uncle Ken's brief return (RIP Roger Newman).

Another part of that story I never forgot was the bewildering scene where Blake, who was in a wheelchair, had to go to the docks to meet with said blackmailer. She asked Meta, who was very rarely seen at this time (I think this was one of her few appearances in a several year period) to drive her down to the docks and leave her there. Meta was like, um, you're in a wheelchair and you want me to just leave you at the docks? And Blake said yes, do it! So Meta, with a WTF reaction, did. Next thing you know, the blackmailer pushes Blake into the water, wheelchair and all, during a struggle, and Ben Warren has to save her.

This also had a strange "Second Chances" meeting at Blake's house, where she can't take anymore of the self-help empowerment crap and starts yelling something like, "I've had second, third and fourth chances, and I've ruined them all!!!!"

• Members

What's amazing is how most of the DAYS cast look like they want to die delivering those plugs to the best of their ability, not to mention how it actually, brutally harkens back to the old days of "soap opera" in the '50s and '60s where they very literally plugged the product in almost exactly the same way. You can't go home again.

• Members

I would give a lot for someone to post the actual DAYS retcon scenes with Andre shooting Marlena's mutilated dead with tranquilizer darts. I remember those scenes being even more ludicrous than the original deaths. And I agree, the Two Todds Saga on OLTL has nothing on that [!@#$%^&*]. It looks sedate and grounded by comparison.

What I would die to see again is a scene from OLTL in 2003 where Mitch Laurence had taken Walker/Todd/Victor Jr. hostage in his underground lair, tied him up and prepared to set him on fire. With a grand flourish, Mitch then sloooowlllyyy sits down in a very ornate chair which was obviously supposed to be his throne. The second his ass hits the seat cushion, Roscoe Born's face contorts into this rictus of madness and he lets out a sybilant hisssssss!!!! It was the funniest thing I had seen in years. I dubbed it "Cat Face."

There were many priceless bad scenes in the Malone II/Higley era of OLTL. There was Jessica's dream of Daniel Colson as a redcoat general circa the 18th century, executing lusty peasant Antonio in Angel Square - there was Antonio's "spinning tarot card eyes" dream about the Santis, and Viki's heart transplant fantasy episode in which they nobly shot for the moon and failed miserably trying to do Twin Peaks on about $5.

• Members

In some ways these are even worse (the product placements) because the old soaps just had sponsors who would talk during breaks. You didn't have to actually see Bert Bauer saying, "Oh Papa, dear "saint" Meta got me so upset yesterday, I felt funny. But after I took some Ex-Lax, everything was much better!"

<cut to closeup of Ex-Lax>

That zoom in on the Won Chai Ferry stuff was just nuts. I'd love to hear Peggy McCay's thoughts.

I remember a few of those OLTL scenes, Vee. I wish I could see them again. Remember the B&W fantasy with Starr/Blair/Todd in some Bubsy Berkeley type film?

• Members

There was also a scene with Brady & Sami on days where they refer to him being her older brother when a) they are not related and B) he is younger. LOL. Like, i know they met it as "brother/sister figure or step siblings that have bonded like real siblings" but they didnt clarify it, and of course the fact they refered to him as older. Clearly they couldnt go back for budget reasons, and it was just so odd.

Archived