B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Well Just Like Brooke, Eric Is Making The Moves, She's reluctant but She's not utterly disgusted either, I'd say it would've been great if Taylor Became The New Mrs. Forrester at the time, not Only It would've been the incarnation of Bold and Beautiful I could see her making some changes in the family, Exercising her newfound strength and power, being Eric's Muse and Fighting Back The Entire Forrester Clan, and see Stephanie Biting Her Tongue

• Members

1994 ever since Brooke and Ridge got together and Dylan and Jessica started has been... absurd.

1. There are 2-3 monologues in every episode, while in the past people were talking to themselves rarely. Now Ridge is talking to Taylor's picture every other episode and every character is summarizing what happened in every episode. 

2. Episodes are repeats of the same episode again and again. How many times will I have to hear My lady... the prince loves you... or Taylor... Ridge has moved on... so should you. Repeat after repeat after repeat.

3. The pacing is SLOW. I mean... SLOW. Brooke and Ridge had 1 dinner in the Omar palace for like... what... 10 episodes... or 15? My partner has fallen asleep 2 times while watching the past episodes and this has NEVER happened before. Once we made a mistake and played an episode that was 10 episodes further... and we didn't even knew we missed like 10 episodes... I caught the mistake by the end and we went back and watched the missed episodes.

4. The dialogue is cheap and melodramatic. THE WORD.... LOVE... is used in basically every scene and every episode... Everything is so in your face and there is no subtext.

5. There are scenes that are like from a turkish soap opera. I mean... Ridge has gotten like 5 feelings in his gut that Taylor is somewhere out there... It's so unrealistic and laughable. The scene where he told Omar that he basically cant wait to DIE AND BE WITH TAYLOR again... All while Brooke is sitting there witnessing this... I mean... THE WRITING. If I were Brooke I would call divorce lawyer ASAP.

6. Stephanie has been deserted as a character... She is now just obsessed with her niece having sex and talking about this with everyone every episode.

My question is... WHEN is the show going to get at least watchable again...

• Members

I was so into the Princess Leila storyline when I was a kid. I thought it was the best thing ever. I even reenacted it with my Barbie dolls. (this is kind of embarrassing to admit...)

Let's just say that is one storyline that was far better in my memory than it is on the actual screen. (I still kind of do like the characters of Ahmed and Moustafa though. They remind me of some Turkish friends of my family when I was a kid.)

So far, the second half of 1994 leaves me with mixed emotions. I like that there are actually four storylines going on at once. What I don't like is that these seem kind of "isolated" from each other - during the Bill Bell years there was usually this feeling of the entire show existing within the same world, and you got a feeling that this was a world populated with people whose lives went on and evolved and whose stories intersected in different ways. It was even hard to talk about isolated "storylines" because the character-driven writing made sure that each and every character had their own story arc and everything just grew organically from there. Everyone and everything felt "alive" in a way. Everyone and everything was connected. The world they lived in felt "real".

The second half of 1994 has a different kind of plot-driven writing where each storyline exists on its own but less attention is given to the actual lives of the characters outside of the storyline they are involved in. And that makes the whole B&B universe feel less like a real world and more like a collection of unrelated stories. Very often, characters have ONE single plot-driven objective rather than an actual complex life. For example: we hardly ever see Jessica taking part in anything but her romance with Dylan. Thorne and Macy barely exist outside the studio. Taylor is isolated in Morocco. Ridge and Brooke are in a love bubble. But we see much less of the kind of scenes where many different storylines and characters can interact and develop, and too little of characters being involved in multiple storylines at once.

I think this is temporary because I do remember the first half of 1995 as very good (and I hope it's not my memory painting a rosy picture).

• Members

Taylor the Desert Princess was cheesy and offensive and would not fly today.

The first half of 1995 highlights were Taylor revealed to be alive in Los Angeles and Sheila Genoa City past being exposed to the Forresters (we saw one of those eps during the 2020 classics).