B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

To my dying day: Thorne/Brooke is not given enough credit as something that unexpectedly really worked and provided great drama and this was the longest Brooke managed to keep out if Ridge's orbit and still be compelling. Sacrificing it carelessly to lazily trod the same Ridge ground again is in my Top Five of Bell mistakes.

• Members

I'm amazed that for nearly 2000 episodes... there have been maybe like 10-20 bad episodes... 2-3 bad script decisions and 2-3 bad characters... Everything is SUPERB. I would say that every 450- 500 episodes something very big and amazing happens... the show just continues to grow and grow... I will be interested to see when it starts going dowhnill EXACTLY.

• Members

I'm happy to hear this and jealous at the same time! I just reached around 520 and I'm in 1989 waiting for Macy to arrive. I'm excited because I'm at a part where we're starting to get some new characters and some changes in the storylines. I'm glad to see the Logan's out and Sally Spectra has been such a good addition to the show. Literally from her first episode Darlene Conley knew exactly what she was doing and was a formidable presence.

Now the one thing I will say is that Caroline has taken a complete nose dive in likability for me. I'm beyond ready for her to be killed off. 

• Members

We will never now, but I would ask for caution by asssuming that good stuff automatically equals William J. Bell and that Brad Bell does not have the talent. IMO; B&B reached its creative peak and unique flavor during his headwriting tenure in the mid-90s. It was mentined in several interviews that back in 1992 Bill Bell took a break of at least 2 months to travel to Europe to enjoy the Winter Olympics and that he handed producting and head writing duties to his son in the meantime. Bill Bell was also known for giving many writers try-outs for scripts/story-projections etc. even if they did not receive on-screen credit yet.

Going by interviews, we also know that by 2002 Bill and even moreso Lee (!) were no longer actively involved with storylines at B&B. Mrs. Bell used to pitch mostly topical stories on HIV, disabilities, addictions. I think their influence was already minimal by then; my guess is that as soon as they were no longer serving as official executive producers of B&B, they more or less stayed out of Brad's orbit and only had their hands over Y&R.

Darlene Conley's presence was an instant sensation, even though they kind of retooled the character within a very short time-span and weren't really giving a logical explanation. We just saw more of Sally (plus her troops and daughter) and her darker traits become less obviouss aka. disappeared within two months.

Looking at the long foreshadowing of Spectra Fashions, IMO, it however debunks rumours that Sally's character was ever intended to be a short-term character because Bill Bell had worked with Conley before when she was Rose DeVille on Y&R. They might have expanded the character's universe due to Conley's abilities, though, by adding Macy and using Donna as a model.

• Members

Yes, it is clear almost from the start (late 1987) that Spectra Fashions is meant to be an integral part of the show. They are this unknown and unseen entity that we only hear about in dialogue until Sally makes her glorious entrance.

What I do think was less clear, though, was HOW Spectra Fashions would fit into the fabric of the show. I believe at first the idea was to make Sally more of a mob boss type threat, and then very soon it became clear that the humor and camaraderie between the Spectra crew was a more viable way to go. Then I think the addition of Macy was really crucial for the long term viability of Sally's character, because it humanized Sally, gave her a motivation for her actions, and gave us the viewers a window into the soft core of Sally's character.

@sheilaforever, are you still watching the 1993 episodes? What do you think about the "current" (for us) storylines?

• Members

I just watched episode 1066, and this guy delivered flowers to Macy, a small speaking role. I can't find any credits but for the life of me I feel like I have seen him before in a larger regular role, and more than likely a soap? Does anyone recognise him? thanks! 

Please register in order to view this content