SOD's excerpt from Carolyn Hinsey's new book

• Members

I get what you're saying, especially knowing Bryggman's return was thanks to Liz Hubbard (and Julianne Moore's wasn't thanks to TPTB either, I think).

But GL's was just so hilariously bad. Alan dies, and they spread his ashes at the edge of a lake. Frank and Blake? *eyeroll* No time at all spent reuniting Rick and Mindy---the list goes on and on.

I guess I'm trying to separate expectations and what was onscreen. And IMO, GL was a mess.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess it all comes down to expectations.

I expected very little from GL's finale, but got more than I expected for the finale.

I expected so much from ATWT's finale, considering it was in a completely different place than the limping GL, however in the end I did feel quite let down.

• Members

Yes, the Inside The Light episodes were her baby.

Oh yes. Yes, she will.

If anyone hasn't seen it, it really is worth a peek. It is cray-cray. BTW, it probably helps to be at least a little tipsy.

I think Wheeler and Kreizman both had some good ideas but neither had any clue how to execute them properly. EW cared nothing about story, character, or continuity while DK, a decent scriptwriter, seemed incapable of devising, managing and pacing longterm story.

Instead of the ITL, they should've commited themselves to more character driven writing all the time. If they insisted on doing the one-character-focused ITLs, they should've done them once a month. Airing them every week just made the show's pacing problems even worse.

Kreizman was HW when the ITL's started. Weston was fired and Kreizman promoted in April 2004. The first ITL didn't start until January 2006.

• Members

I remember back in 2003 when Ellen Wheeler was hired after the firing on John Conboy. John Conboy stated he wanted to know someone with no experience in producing a show, would be able to turn Guiding Light around? As most people hated his time as executive producer, I do agree with his comments now and then, the show was limping along. Ellen Wheeler was the wrong person to try and save a show that has been mishandled for many years.

• Members

I've always wondered what went down between Conboy and Wheeler. She was a Producer of GL when he came aboard and it wasn't long before she left that post and went back to ATWT as a Director. Then once Conboy was gone, she came on as EP. From the outset, I figured she had no clue what she was getting in to and would be a weak EP. I was right.

• Members

I agree Ellen Weston was a terrible headwriter but then again when you are friends. You can hire anyone you want. John Conboy made many mistakes along the way but for me P&G should have stepped in. No one higher up cared what happened to the show and they just let everyone from 2002 run the show into the ground.

Archived