OLTL: Actress turns down role

• Members

http://daytimeconfidential.zap2it.com/2011/06/23/rumor-report-did-judith-light-turn-down-a-one-life-to-live-finale-cameo-0

Don't expect Karen Wolek to make a return trip to Llanview, PA. before One Life to Live ends next January. According to sources, Judith Light recently declined an offer from the sudser to reprise the career-making role as the housewife hooker she played from 1977-1983. I'm hearing this isn't the first time Light has turned OLTL down, despite always speaking fondly of her time on the serial in the press. Reportedly the brass wanted Light to appear as Karen for the soap's 40th anniversary back in 2008, but the Who's The Boss? and Ugly Betty star allegedly passed that time as well.

Here's hoping, with seven months left before the finale, TPTB will somehow be able to convince Light to change her mind.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wonder what Carl has to say about this. He didnt think OLTKL would be bringing back anyone and Karen is definetly unexpected. Sucks that it was she that said no. She always seemed proud of her daytime roots and I would have thought cancellation would have changed her mind

• Members

I can see why. Maybe if the soap had maintained some of it's core, it might be a different show to return to. But seriously how would they weave her back in? I get through Viki, but Karen was SO long ago. Light probably realizes all of this, too.

But, however, when Josh Duhamel and Julianne Moore (who, to me, have had a lot more success) can both return to their soaps, it looks bad for Light to turn it down, IMO. Suck it up and do a cameo!

• Members

Oh I dont disagree. The character of Karen isnt relevant to OLTL today and hasnt been in ages. She'd have to randomly run into Viki somehow bc there's no way she could be worked into any of the stories as most of the people she had ties to are no longer around. But then again, they managed to bring Echo back and she is even more obscure and less prominent than Karen....

• Members

I'm not entirely sure that I buy the story, frankly, but if they did ask her, then I can see it being a bit part. If it's just some non-role, or even worse, a bad joke, as so much of the last few years of OLTL history seem to be (with even a gang rape turned into a reason for viewers to laugh), then I wouldn't blame her for staying away.

I don't care about who she has ties to. OLTL has tons and tons of ciphers who continue to swarm in and are hung around the necks of established characters. Karen has stronger bonds with people on the show now than the likes of Aubrey, Cookie Cutter, Deanna, the Fords, and Tomas and family.

I don't think it looks bad. She has always praised the show. She has a very busy career.

The fact that so many are saying she doesn't belong means that even if she did a cameo, a lot of people would probably badmouth her, so she's probably damned either way.

• Members

I would have liked to see her face but maybe it is for the best. -_- One thing that I have learned to accept about One Life is that it is best at being what it is when it is what it is. Familiar faces, sure, but it gets clunky when you start mixing the flavors of the various regimes. I guess we will be spared of any awkward dialogue ("Oh Karen, I will never forget that time you were on the stand" *flashback*) or whatever, but I liked my idea of some old faces like her and Michael Storm and Ellen Holly and Al Freeman, Jr. and Marilyn Chris coming back for the opening of a Sadie Gray hospital wing, just a one/two episode deal for some sweet farewells weeks before the actual finale.

I also think that for Judith not even having her old pal Robin around makes the pot less sweet. Probably a lot of ghosts for her, memories of GA and all... But a quick scene shot in the morning with Erika sure would be lovely.

• Members

It took me a minute to figure out who GA was :(

The worst part of her not returning will be even less likelihood of seeing Larry, or a mention of Marco. But if she doesn't return then I can't hold that against her.

I just hate the idea of someone needing ties to current characters in order to return. If anything I'd rather see people who have few ties to Noble Rapists R'Us.

Hopefully they may still have a few flashbacks.

Archived