Ron Carlivati to GH

• Members

If I had my way, all 4 would be canned anyway. Im sick of JJ's constant crying, MB's yelling and SB's blank stares. AG would probably feel the most at home bc he's used to his character acting like a fool for laughs

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He is just going to be a scriptwriter guys. He is not going to have the title of "lord dictator of General Hospital" or something. I don't think the Fords will replace the mob or anything big will change.

• Members

http://abc.soapsinde...eads-to-gh.html

ABC Daytime has released a statement from Carlivati regarding his move to GH after OLTL wraps production. "I remain fully committed to Frank Valentini and OLTL as the show's headwriter until the series concludes in January of 2012," he says. "It has been my distinct honor to write for Agnes Nixon's groundbreaking soap opera for the past fifteen years, and it will be with a heavy heart that I, along with my incredibly talented team, pen its finale. At that time, I am happy to announce that I will then be joining the writing team of GH, and am thrilled to be working once again with executive producer Jill Phelps as well as new headwriter Garin Wolf."

• Members

I don't see how two uncharismatic Ken dolls with plastic bodies are going to do much for ratings. The show has tried very hard to throw them both at various women and in various stories and it usually flops.

What bothers me most with RC's hiring is the rape apologies that his tenure at OLTL has been steeped in. In 3 years he has had more stories that tell viewers rape is hot and rape is love than I have ever seen on any other show. I guess it's fitting that he is going to GH, given the Luke/Laura origins, but even then GH properly addressed the rape in a way RC's OLTL never would dare.

I'm not exactly sure what qualities would warrant his hiring. He's not the worst, but he can't tell long-term stories and the dialogue during his tenure has been awful. The characterization is OK, but GH doesn't really have a problem with characterization.

The humor pretty much went out the window too - other than women catfighting and people laughing at Jessica's rape/sexual abuse.

• Members

But there's a difference.

I don't care if a show has mob. GH has always had mob. Frank Smith, anyone? The difference is, they should be BAD guys. The ones you love to hate because of the drama they cause for the good guys, who you root for.

The problem GH has is that 1) the mob is too central and 2) they try to shove killers down our throats as pillars of morality. I'm sorry, I don't comprehend how we can have a whole episode of people running around talking about how gentle and kind these mobsters are, and then have the episode end with them shooting someone in the head without even blinking. There's a word for that, but it aint' gentle, kind or moral.

If GH understood that mobsters are villians, the tone of the show would be different and far more enjoyable. That's why characters like Frank Smith and Faith Roscoe were so popular/enjoyable. Because they were written as they should have been.

Archived