Ron Carlivati to GH

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

David basically had the same "comedy" loop Luke does - the only real difference is in the portrayal of the actors. I think RC would probably just end up doing the same one note stuff every other writer at GH does for comedy.

• Members

Daily OLTL is overall much more fun and light hearted than daily GH. There's no question about that. When I watch OLTL, I do actually laugh at the characters, scenes and some of the tongue in cheek tidbits that are thrown out there. I cant recall the last time Ive actually been humored by GH at all. Everything seems so damn depressing and dark. None of the characters ever seem to genuinely enjoy themselves and their lives. When it comes to camp and comedy, OLTL seems to be the ONLY soap left that even seems to have any elements of that these days and thats in part bc of Ron C. Everything else is so serious

• Members

OLTL switches tone too much for me to laugh at most of it. One day Marty is going caw caw and the next she's sane and reunited with her true love. They also seem to see humor as Todd airquoting the rape of mentally ill women. If that's funny then I don't know what it says about them. Then there's the comedy of some random celebrities reading some "hip" one-liners as news people.

The only other stuff is bimbos catfighting and Cutter smirking. I can't see that ever being on GH. As you said, GH is too dour.

David's same old lines (have a seat, PA, Vickeroshi/Vickerman) will put RC in good stead for Luke's same old lines (bad accents, hammy singing, stupid facial expressions).

• Members

Ron going to GH is all about his contract with ABC. Ron is a hot commodity. The only place for him to go outside of ABC daytime is the Bell soaps. He would be high tailing it to Bell land if he wanted to stay in soaps. His three year deal with ABC probably dictates this move. He knows GH will be canceled. In addition, he's loyal to ABC who employed him for 15 years (and took a chance since he was an attorney). Thanks to Claire Labine. I'm glad he's staying with ABC until the end. Y&R isn't ready for him yet.

• Members

Yeah, but he's only going to be a scriptwriter, correct? I keep seeing all this discussion about what he can/will do to GH but really he's basically going from manager to working the shake machine right?

As for Ron being a hot commodity, how in demand can he be? There's only four soaps. That's like being a hot commodity in the blacksmith industry. Given his penchant for science fiction he would do well to try and get a job on a SyFy original series.

• Members

I have no idea what RC is going to do at GH, but I don't think that soaps are helped when the same writers/headwriters/producers are recycled.

ITA. I don't buy that RC is a hot commodity. The "anonymous" producer who was interviewed recently talked about the stigma of writing for a soap made it difficult to find more work.

• Members

Yeah how is RC a hot commodity? I forget, he won an Emmy right? He brought OLTL to it's lowest ratings ever and most of his writing is recycled from the OLTL past. Going from HW of an ABC cancelled soap to a scriptwriter of the last ABC soap, a hot commodity it does not make :lol:

And I do not find OLTL campy or lighthearted at all, no more that GH imo. David=Spinelli, Roxie=Maxie, and Todd/tea bickering=Tracy/Luke bickering.

But since he has yet to write a frontbuerner story for his minority characters, he def fits right in with GH

• Members

I cant believe you just compared the fabulous and underused Roxie to the vapid hole that is Maxie :o. They dont use her nearly as much but a little bit goes a long way. Roxie is by far the most humorous character currently in daytime.

Archived