A New Day in Eden

• Members

I recall the pilot because (like many on this board have mentioned) Grant Wilson's Biff was a bit of a hunk.  Grant Wilson had been in the movie Foxes with Jodie Foster and I developed a crush on him when the movie played in an endless loop on cable.  My memory is that in the first scenes of the first episode Biff picks up Shelly, they copulate in the motel and Biff is shown in black briefs.  We then learn that Biff has a girlfriend (Francie) but she does not satisfy him sexually.  This coincides with the arrival of Josh, which is why Biff used the name Josh to disguise his identity from Shelly.

I recall the frustration that there was copious female nudity but sparse guy stuff so I stopped watching. I think Jack Wagner played Clint and he showed some tush in a scene with an older woman which is why he was not that upset when his girlfriend made out with with his friend's aunt by the pool.  Jack Wagner, Grant Wilson and, Larry Poindexter were not as muscular as the soap hunks of today but the show was provocative.

Finally, I recall that Grant Wilson was married to the actress who played Susan Moore (Jason Quatermaine's mother) on GH.

Edited by j swift

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks for sharing!

It's great to hear about the pilot. The Biff / Francie relationship is interesting. In the scripts I have, I don't think Francie was presented as a prude, but I also don't remember her being overtly sexual. Despite this, the show still positioned the 'good' girls into sexual positions. Biff fantasized about Francie cooking for him in nothing but an apron. It kept Francie pure, while requiring Dana Halsted to bare herself to the audience. Lara Parker talked about torpedoing her romances with her leading men so that she wouldn't have to appear in sexual situations, which is probably why the show resorting to raping Betty not once, but twice.

It's interesting that Shelley and her cousin ended up meeting Biff under similar circumstances. I also believe that Biff and Shelley's encounter in the pilot may have been Biff's alibi for the first murder.

Gail Ramsey (Susan Moore) was married to Steve Carlson (Josh Collier, ANDiE). 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I've seen one person in all my time online say they had episodes of "A New Day in Eden." They had a massive soap collection on VHS. Unfortunately, with the changes in technology, I think a lot of soap material, like this one, will be lost. I also suspect people have episodes (or at least partials) and don't realize it because they came on after a late night movie they were recording. I would have thought a "Dark Shadows" fan might have recorded it because of Lara Parker, but maybe the lack of access hurt the show.

On another note, Ron Roy claims he was Clint Masterson in the pilot for "A New Day in Eden." 

In an article on "Eden," producer Michael Jaffe claims that both HBO and Spotlight were interested in Eden, but that Showtime snagged the rights. 

• 1 year later...
  • Members

A weird tidbit... 

In my latest search for information on "A New Day in Eden," I stumbled across a review of the uncut version of "9 1/2 Weeks" featuring Kim Bassinger and Mickey Rourke. Apparently, scenes were used in the film from a script written by Patrick Mulcahey. From what I could tell, it was a small interaction between a man and woman. In the film's credits, Jeff Severson and Kim Michel are credited as "soap opera man" and "soap opera woman." Years ago, I had seen Severson list "A New Day in Eden" on his resume without listing a role. In the brief clip, Severson's character is seen wearing a suit. No clue who he was or how he fit into the show. 

Edited by dc11786

• 3 weeks later...