AMC and OLTL Canceled!

• Members

La Lucci was great on Leno, she lets her hair down once in a while in this interview, in particular reference to Agnes Nixon being allowed to write her own show and "This Brian Frons"...it's positive for her.

No publicity is bad publicity.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Some of these Katie Couric articles are very puzzling to me. It keeps on insisting Couric's show is syndicated then insists ABC Daytime would cancel GH and give affiliates the timeslot. It doesn't work like that! If ABC is syndicating a show, ABC-TV Daytime has nothing to do with it and doesn't have to cancel anything or give any timeslot back to affiliates. A syndicated show is sold to affiliates of various networks, so the show could air on an NBC station in Boston, a CBS station in Denver and a FOX station in Miami but still is owned and run by ABC. Certainly the ABC owned and operated affiliates would air the show, although they have to come up with the timeslot themselves. It seems to me some of these articles are written by "journalist" who aren't too knowledgeable about the tv biz.

• Members

Umm, Katie better get on the CBS Television Distribution train and stop playing. That is her best chance to succeed and she has to know that. I think she has a pretty smart team behind her though.

• Members

Can't blame any actors who remain in this stage, though. (Fans are another story.) Hollywood is a tough place, filled with dime-a-dozen, young, pretty actors and actresses who are vying constantly for the same smattering of roles. For many, a gig on AMC or OLTL, or any other soap, is the best they can hope for, and they know it.

I wonder whether Melissa Archer will go back to selling women's clothes @ the Glendale Mall after OLTL wraps.

• Members

AFAIC, it's an enormous waste of time and money. Katie Couric didn't fail at CBS b/c evening news is an old man's game. She failed b/c no one trusts her to do anything outside of a light-hearted morning show (and many still aren't certain she could handle that). CBS realized that and cut her loose; and ABC will realize that, too, and either opt not to renew her deal when it expires, or buy her out beforehand.

Couric will win, of course, b/c she'll be millions richer. But everyone else - at ABC News and throughout America - will lose.

• Members

Going through the new SOD, Agnes Nixon wants to write an ending for AMC that would allow for the show to continue on another network. Sources say she is determined to get AMC and OLTL a new home.

Agnes, it ain't going to work. Please write a real ending.

• Members

I realize KNOTS LANDING was a primetime soap and not daytime, but I really liked the way it ended, tying up all the loose ends, yet still giving the impression that life would go on in Seaview Circle no matter what. AMC, at least, would be wise to do the same. If, by some absolute miracle, Agnes were to get her show(s) on another network, then there wouldn't be any need to start all over; but, if not, then at least we have a much-needed sense of closure for these characters.

• Members

Living Single

Regine: Now I know they're pulling the plug on Palo Alto... five of the six main characters die in a mysterious circus tent explosion.

Overton: Well, at least you've still got one character left...

Regine: She's going to the chair for killing them!

• Members

If people think the SOAPnet mess, along with the cancellations of AMC and OLTL set soap fans off, imagine the backlash ABC would get if GH gets cancelled as well. Man, the crazies would really come out of the woodwork then. :rolleyes:

And, I don't see it as that much of a shock if GH were to get cancelled soon and end next September, not after what happened with AMC and OLTL.....I think it is only a matter of time before GH bites the dust as well...

• Members

Katie Couric's Talks With CBS for Syndicated Daytime Show Said to Collapse

By Ronald Grover - May 5, 2011 10:38 AM CT

CBS Corp. (CBS) and Katie Couric have ended discussions for a syndicated talk show that would keep her at the media company after she steps down as evening news anchor, people with knowledge of the situation said.

It remains possible that talks could resume before Couric's contract ends in June, said one of the people, who wasn't authorized to discuss the matter because it is private. A limited role for Couric with "60 Minutes" or "CBS Sunday Morning" is still possible, the person said.

Read more: http://www.bloomberg...o-collapse.html

Archived