Rare instances of flashing back to a previous casting

• Members

Not too long ago someone mentioned a soap (I think it was OLTL) using a flashback of a previous actress for a role as an in-joke for the scene.

The only other instance I can think of this happening is in 2003 on Y&R when Eileen Davidson's Ashley had a lengthy montage of flashbacks of her history with Victor and included was one of Brenda Epperson.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

B&B flashed back to a previous actor when they finally had Rick get his memory of shooting Grant back. Of course, Rick was a teenager then so it wasn't a big deal. Overall, it bothers me that soaps don't do this more often. We KNOW roles were recast, not doing flashbacks hurts the story in some cases. Especially like when Y&R brought back Patty and did newly created flashbacks. You already explained she had plastic surgery, so whats the big deal?

• Members

Haha i was actually just thinking of something like this. I always felt like Passions always tried to cover up the fact that any of their characters got recasts when they did show flashback from other characters, and you know that was risky since almost every character core to the show was cast.

One thing i wondered though is that last summer on Y&R when Liz died, i was listening to people comment on it during a podcast and one person said that what made her death worse was the fact that they neglected showing old flashback's of her from the 70's and 80's to show her relationships between Katherine and her family. That's interesting to me because I feel (as most people do) Brenda Dickson took up most of the mother-daughter relationship with Liz. So that makes me wonder if they would have shown old clips with Brenda as Jill. I personally think its stupid if they try to make it seem like no one was recasted, because its stupid that they think we are probably too stupid to remember that many popular characters were once portrayed by someone else.

Archived