AMC: The Killing

Vanguardian

• Members

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. As soon as they suspected Reddick, I started thinking the killer is probably Skinner. Linden's reaction (and they way they shot the scene) to the realization was amazing. When Skinner was telling Linden about his reasons for killing all the girls, I felt physically sick.

Holder and Linden's relationship is absolutely phenomenal. It's interesting that, on such a serious/dark show, Holder can be so funny. I absolutely love their partnership/friendship.

If you needed one example, just one example, of THE KILLING's great character writing, you just have to look at Danette. How she started off as an insufferable useless person that didn't deserve to be called a mother and ended up a tragic mother figure. So touching when she did the counting thing on the bridge (which, I believe, is the last place Kallie was seen?). The character changed and progressed so much and she's only one example.

It was also heartwarming to see Twitch throw away the drugs. Lyric went back to prostitution sad.png But, it was just like real life. Every now and then, someone's going to make the right decision and someone's not.

I disagree that a lot of brushed over and ignored. We got the answers to the many questions--Bullet's death, Angie, etc--but it wouldn't be realistic for the killer to sit down and draw us a map of what he did. More potent (and sickening) to hear about the reasons why.

And the ending! My God, what an amazing move to have your lead heroine murder someone... and still have the audience be by her side! A great interview with Mireille Enos here: http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/08/05/mireille-enos-killing-season-3-finale-postmortem/

Surprisingly, most of the comments were intelligent and smart. Some people claimed the ending was too abrupt, but it seems that not everyone grasps the idea of a cliffhanger. And what a great cliffhanger it was. The show can end or go on from this point and it wouldn't harm it either way (unless of course it came back with a horrid season). Also, regarding giving answers, I LOVE that we didn't get everything resolved. My God, do I love it. It shows that life goes on. Unless they address it on Season 4, we might never find out what happened to Kallie (unless Skinner really did killer and didn't remember, I felt it was ambiguous but he prob did). We might never find out how Holder and Linden dealt with the killing (how ironic that the heroine herself is responsible for a Killing!). It's just all so painful and real to life.

I have never said this but it was a privilege watching this season. So wonderfully plotted and extremely great acting. What a ride!

(Sorry for the long post!)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

THE KILLING canceled. Damn.

http://m.deadline.com/2013/09/the-killing-cancelled-by-amc-after-season-3/

Glad to see so many of the comments praise Season 3. It really was an extremely brilliant season.

I'm not even going to entertain the idea that Netflix could pick this up. I am so sad over this. :(

• Members

You know, after watching the Newsroom last night, I don't feel as bad about losing The Killing. I mean I never mourn when a movie ends. I hope I enjoyed the couple of hours, and then look forward to something else. The Killing left me satisfied, which IMO is better than so many series that seem to peter out in the middle, and lose their steam. I'm glad I was left with this feeling of being satiated.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Finally got around to binge watching this (reality stopped me from doing this last weekend...).

I also didn't like the last minute of the finale, but the rest was amazing. As usual the murder case was the weak link in the season, but the way the themes/parallels raised in the murder case crossed over and linked in with the carryover from season 3 and the general characterization of Holder and Linden was masterclass in writing. Like season 3, the trauma pulls one into show viscerally. It was also amazingly directed.

I agree with you that season 3 and 4 were eons better than the first 2 seasons. I think the smaller episode order kept the red herring shtick down to a minimum, making the show tight and focused.

Archived