Deadline Hollywood Says AMC May Be A Goner

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

MontyB, I should clarify that I much prefer OLTL over AMC (although P&G soaps are the only daytime soaps I have ever really liked), so I obviously would want AMC to be cancelled first. I honestly think that all this "talk" about AMC being axed first is just wishful thinking on the part of OLTL fans. Of course, I hope I am wrong, but I would bet any amount of money that OLTL will be the next soap cancelled.

• Members

Actually, I occasionally watch OLTL but never have any desire to view AMC. Yet, I realize I am in the minority, so you make a good point Juliajms. However, even among those who watch both shows, I suspect that most prefer one over the other.

• Members

I agree ABC moving AMC to LA was an attempt to keep it on the air for the long-term but something called demos and ratings got in the way.

It was a failed attempt to save money, although had the ratings increased, the show would have made more money and the move would have been a success, hollywood execs make mistakes on a daily basis and constantly look like idiots no matter what they do, so ABC will not keep AMC on the air simply so they won't look like idiots, newsflash they already are idiots! lol

Thats not an accurate comparison, NBC doesn't have a daytime division anymore, the guy who renewed it probably thought it was a primetime show lol Because NBC doesnt have a daytime division, it really doesn't have anyone who's sole job it is to develop daytime programming, thats the main reason DAYS got renewed, in addition to demos gains, it didn't have a network exec like ABC's Frons who is always being pitched new daytime talkshows. This is why the AMC rumors are different because its been reported ABC is considering different daytime talkshows to launch in September, the affiliates would require advance notice so thats why an announcement on ABC's plans are expected by the end of the quarter, this month. So I guess this coming week is it! If ABC is launching a talkshow and a soap has to be canceled to make room, we'll hear about it soon. One final thought, in recent years we had these ABC soap cancelation rumors as well, nothing happened because ABC decided against launching talkshows they were developing, so just because prior cancelation rumors were untrue doesnt make this one untrue as well, it all depends on ABC's decision to premiere a talkshow.

• Webmaster

The reason the "rumor" made headlines is because it was posted by Deadline.com, which is not known for posting "rumor." However, it all comes down to who their sources were. Actual people or another sites reporting said "rumor?"

There seems to be some confusion on the DAYS renewal. DAYS was renewed through September 2011 as per its prior contract. The announcement of the "extension" came in November (on the shows 45th birthday no less), therefore giving the show an additional two years, not three.

• Members

I think that no matter what soaps someone watches, or how many, they're always going to prefer one over the others.

For me, at one point in time I watched both AMC and OLTL, but I preferred OLTL. That was well over a decade ago, now I prefer neither. :lol:

Well, to be fair and as much as I don't like her way of reporting for various reasons, Nikki Finke is easily one of the most credible sources for entertainment news there is. I mean, if she has the scoop on casting news for major motion pictures, pilot news for primetime and cable television and hirings/firings at major agencies like CAA, WME, and ICM before anyone else - then it stands to reason that she would know what she's talking about when it comes to a decision made about a soap.

Also, I assume this is the event you attended Errol? Looks like a nice turnout

http://stevenbergmanphotography.com/ximagi/search.php?sort=celeb&assignment_id=1169#page=0&view=gallery&key=

• Members

Yeah there is a way in hell it will happen. OLTL won't be going anywhere for a few more years at least. They just need to close the coffin lid on AMC and it's officially over. You don't see people talking about a death knell for OLTL.

The name/brand stuff is hogwash. The ONLY brand it has is Susan Lucci, who's a brand into herself. The move was a BAND-AID and did nothing to help the show. OLTL got the stability and got to move into a studio ABC OWNS.

OLTL has so many pluses in it's favor. I think it's gullible to think AMC isn't going anywhere. I'm sorry but people need to stop burying their hand in the sand and face facts, AMC is gonna be gone this year, possibly no later than when Soapnet finally leaves the airwaves

• Webmaster

Yes, that is the event I went to.

Regarding Nikki Finke....yes, she is the one you don't wanna mess with when it comes to news. However, she herself didn't post the news. While I'm not saying the rumor isn't valid, it was actually posted by one of her reporters, who rarely posts "exclusives" like Nikki does.

• Members

Actually, Nellie Andreeva, the reporter who works at Deadline, is a well-known scoopster who posts exclusives all the time. Her sources have proven impeccable in the past. She was poached from the Hollywood Reporter by Deadline because of her stellar reputation. Whether or not AMC gets canceled soon or not, you can be sure if she says it might be on the chopping block, it's definitely something the ABC suits are actively discussing.

• Webmaster

Yes, I know who Nellie is. I actually visit Deadline almost everyday. What I was referring to her about was that she doesn't post as many "exclusives" as Nikki does in the sense of hard news. I'm not calling her a liar, far from it, just questioning where her speculation report on AMC in danger came from. It wasn't written in the same style as she normally writes, so I found it odd. But again, that doesn't mean I'm saying she is totally wrong in all of this.

Archived