Adele Thread

• Members

As much as AI has done for Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood, I've never thought that they (or rather, the folks that were dispatched to handle Fanny's career post-win) were adept in developing a (true) R&B talent - hence their saddling her with trendy songs that were a better fit for lesser singers.

Even Jennifer Hudson -- in spite of being an Oscar-winner and a (relatively) working blacktress in Hollywood -- is a victim of weak songs undermining her wonderful voice.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Bringing the discussion over from Taylor's thread.

I wonder how well her next album will do in sales. Those "21" numbers (30 million worlwide, 11 million in US) is a once and a lifetime thing (especially now) and I don't think it will be duplicated again. I think getting half will be a considered a major success.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

It's good that she's got something in the works again. One of the very few with REAL talent in the last 10 years, it would be a shame if she didn't release anything else. For some reason, starting in the 90's, recording artists had a MAJOR slowdown in their release schedules, nobody is really prolific with their albums anymore. For instance, compare Mariah, who has been recording for 25 years, she has released 14 studio albums. Elton John released 25 in his first 25 years, Dolly Parton 31,  Johnny Mathis released 51!

• Members

I thought the same thing!

The news isn't the content of the lyrics (which we haven't heard, really). The news is that the woman whose last album has sold nearly 30 million copies (11 million of them in the US), who has the highest digital sales album ever, who is universally adored for her voice and songwriting talent and managed to be a superstar despite the immense hangups our world has about overweight women, who has the most successful album of the decade so far, who had the #1 album two years in a row, and on and on and on, is releasing a new album. She'll slay! Hatuuurs to the left. 

Edited by YRBB

• Members

I get it. Bertha makes the people wet. I really don't think her being overweight has been a factor in anything she's done in years, though, especially considering she dropped a considerable amount of weight between 19 and 21 (the albums, not the ages). Everybody clings to Adele because "OMG she's a real singer!" and that's great, but my head isn't so easily turned by that anymore. If her brand is the "real singer" who sings about "real things," then I need to see some progression. I can take 30 albums of Britney sipping that bub in the club, but I can't take yet another Adele record filled with torch songs. It's time for her to use that voice in other ways.

Look, I'm glad she's bad, but I'm not excited because for all we know, this song could have been a last-minute cut from 21. There's nothing new here at all, really.